The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fun weekend

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Specks are trying to die, I've never seen that many down there

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I like your ring neck ducks. I mounted one last year, because it's a fish eating trash bird and there wasn't much else I was going to do with it.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Damn, that's a lot of ducks.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I kept one to mount, I want to do a dead mount with ring necks, redheads and blue bills

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. fl0at_

From last year. Also got a pair of mallards.

Attached Files:

10. fl0at_

Got to move them to their final location but these are from last year too.

Attached Files:

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like the pellet holes in his feet

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like that

13. fl0at_

Not sure where those came from. If you look at his right wing, the tip and toward the first joint, you'll see where the pattern was thickest.

He was turned about like he is mounted, coming in to me, and dropped dead.

His right foot is all rolled up and his left has pellets in it, and I know that Kick's choke doesn't shoot a basketball sized pattern at 10 yards, so that little guy had a rough day, or I had some really weird shot come out the barrel.

14. fl0at_

Just breasted my last duck for the season.

We hunted timber yesterday and today, even though everything was on open water. We managed to kill some mallards, which made the old man happy.

He’s been wanting to hunt timber for a while, but it’s hard on the knees. Lot easier when the water is so high you only gotta go about 20 yards in to be in flooded timber.

justingroves likes this.
  15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Do you have a lease or do you pay a guide? My friend's son is wanting to go to Arkansas to duck hunt for his senior trip next year so his dad was asking. Advice?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got a lease. I know one guide, Tupelo Ridge, they hunt a little north of us. They are just now getting ducks, but they have massacred geese.

I would go in January, ducks are usually pushing down and they're fully plumed out.

Fl0at hunts in Arkansas too, he may know someone.

You can try your luck on public land, but you'll need a boat.

smokysbark likes this.
  17. fl0at_

We’re up near Hunter on a lease.

One of our members used to guide, so I could reach out and see if he knows any groups worth a damn, if you want.

But he gave it up a while back. He’s fun to hunt with though.

January is our worst time of year.

I don’t suggest public land, even with a boat, because you don’t know the area, and the guys hunting on it for years do, and they’ll be where you want to be, long before you know you need to be there.

Can always try poaching. We didn’t hunt in December, but some folks not on our lease did.

Put in boats on the boat ramp. Didn’t even lock the wheels on the blind tops. Very ungrateful.

justingroves likes this.
  18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Thanks Fellas, I'll let him know. He and his son both are experienced duck hunters. They hunt the lakes here every season. Said he hasn't limited out any time he has been this season and his son wants to go to Arkansas and see wall to wall ducks like Groves picture.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

January is our best month every season and we're just right up 49 from Hunter.

Ducks are weird

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My 6 year old is enjoying his first duck hunt. He stick it out for 4 hours yesterday in the rain. We killed 2 snows and 2 gadwalls

kmf600, fl0at_ and Ssmiff like this.