The Parenting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Not to uncool the board, but I thought a parenting/support thread could be therapeutic for some of us. And be a good place to swap stories.

(Backstory: I've been gone all week with work, and a week is an eternity in a kids life. The cliche is right -- they do grow up fast -- and they change so quickly).

Anyway, what I learned this morning when I returned home: there is a show called Go, Diego Go and even though Diego is Dora's brother, when my daughter demands Diego, she means this show and not Dora. I had never heard of it until this morning. Did you fathers know this?

This is also kind of sad because after a month at the top my daughter now thinks Dora the Explorer sucks. How can such an assessment be made in less than a week? I feel bad for Dora. She's just been tossed to the curb.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kids are fickle. My little guy has already moved on from bottles to sippie cups. He doesn't like to even see a bottle.

It is amazing what they pickup on in a day when you're gone, much less a week

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Say NO to Barney what ever you do!

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You want parenting advice???????

Bust dey ass.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hawkins County = child abuse capital of Tennessee.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If a whack on the butt is child abuse, then yes.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There is something that makes you proud as a father watching your son dip 5 pieces of bacon in maple syrup when he eats it.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My daughter eats like a truck driver and I fear, will swear like one too. But seriously, her favorite snack is roasted peanuts and favorite meal shrimp and corn. And she devours bacon like none other. No salads and sparkling water for this one.

9. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I've got my 3 year old girl into liking some of the TV I did growing up. She absolutely loves Charlie Brown specials.......she wears out It's the Great Pumpkin, the Christmas episode, and the Easter Beagle. She also enjoys Scooby-Doo quite a bit and really likes A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. I've also got her into The Flintstones a bit here lately. She's slowly coming around to Fraggle Rock now too.

As for the crappy kids cartoons that are on now she makes me suffer mostly through Bubble Guppies. I hate that show with a passion. But at least there's one newer kids cartoon that is money and I enjoy and that's Phineas and Ferb. My little girl loves that one and I like that show myself. With the twins likely coming in early February I've only got a couple of months of sanity left.

10. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Doof's flashbacks to Gimmelschtump are my favorite part of phineas and ferb. Hilarious. He's my favorite character by far in the shows my kids watch.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My 10 month old son made a 2 year old cry today. They got in a spat over a Jack-in-the-Box. He took the 2 year old's pacifier away and threw it in the floor after the 2 year old took the toy away from him.

I'm proud.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I took a psych class focused on the topic of fatherhood. That makes me a pro, right?

13. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

I have 3 kids and they all came down with the stomach virus last night. No one should ever see the volume of vomit I've dealt with today. Some days you just hope for the sweet release of death.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It is amazing the amount of puke that can come out of such small children.

I feel for you.

15. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I'm 3 (almost 4) months in with my first. It's been interesting so far

16. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

That's the worst part... once they start sleeping through the night, it gets easier up until they start walking.... and then be prepared to never sit down again.

Oh, and baby gates are for sissies... we haven't had them on our stairs for either one of our boys.

17. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

She actually sleeps a lot during the night. Maybe wakes up a time or two. There's quite a few nights where she sleeps through

18. CardinalVol

Saturday, Little Me was about as awesome as you could ask for. Yesterday, I just wanted to throw him through a wall he was so whiny.

Got to love 2 year olds.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have two at 3 months and neither is anywhere close to sleeping through the night. of course they are probably smaller than yours since they are premature.

20. CardinalVol

My three month old hasn't woken up in the middle of the night in about 3 weeks. :)