The remake of a classic: The Thing.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 1, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The original The Thing, or "The Thing from another World" as it is now called, was released in 1951 and based off of a 1938 novella entitled "Who Goes There?" A remake directed by John Carpenter was released in 1982 starring Kurt Russell. One of our posters, MacReady, actually introduced me to the movie back in high school. If you haven't seen it and you like science fiction or horror, it is definitely worth checking out. I'd say the most brief and vague premise I would give is that it is one of those movies that takes a common aspect of microscopic life and biology, and imagines it on a macroscopic (human) scale.

In a strange and fairly uncommon move, a video game based on the movie was released a whopping 21 years later. The game itself was as inspired as the materials it drew from (mostly the 1982 film, but also the original movie and novella), with a then-rare/unique quality of each time you play the game or even a particular level, which human is actually the alien randomly changes which makes for a whole new experience of figuring out who it is/isn't while progressing through a level each time.

And now, coming out on October 14, a prequel to the 1982 The Thing is coming out (and is also entitled The Thing). The events occurring at the Norwegian base camp that was visited will be portrayed, which actually means if you haven't seen the 1982 The Thing first, you might want to hold off if you're interested in the new one so as to not get any spoilers.

I usually geek out about one movie a year, and it usually isn't one of the obvious summer blockbusters. This is my movie for 2011. It has the potential to be another edition of a cult classic. Anyone else interested in this?

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I saw the 82 version at the theater when it came out. Good stuff.

3. WM

WM Active Member

So is the movie called 'Something" or is that just some one worded promo?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dunno what you are talking about, WM. The movie is called "The Thing," just like the 1982 sequel.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"The Other Thing" would be better

6. MacReady

MacReady New Member

The Thing is the greatest movie of all time.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

But it is the exact same "Thing" as The Thing, only detailing events before the events of "The Thing."

8. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

kind of liked that ridiculous hat Kurt Russell wore in the 1982 version

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. Vader

Vader New Member

I did not realize this was a prequel to the '82 version of the movie. I just thought they were remaking it. That is interesting.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The thing that made the thing

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

No it's the exact same Thing.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The thing that will be eventually be called the thing

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this, that, or the other thing?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Actually it is referred to as "that thing" a few times in the 1982 movie, but so far never as THE Thing.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just one thing.

17. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Damn shame that I've been having to avoid the heck out of all the previews because they're full of spoilers.

18. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

That Thing You Do

The One Thing

One Thing Leads to Another

19. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

That Thing You Do

The One Thing

One Thing Leads to Another

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've also deliberately avoided the trailers.