Vandy win or lose.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TRUVOL, Nov 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Is it worth mentioning that Mizzou and Texas A&M beat Vandy just as badly as Mizzou and Auburn beat us? I feel like a lot of the pessimism is because of the order of games and not actually the quality of them

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Full picture if we're doing the common opponent thing:

And Vandy just kicked the shit out of a team today that did their best to hand us a win, but we still got rolled.

3. Tar Volon

They were +4 in turnovers. We were -3. Yardage was actually pretty similar.

If we're -4 in turnovers against Vandy, we'll probably lose, but I don't really see the Florida comparison as a huge negative unless you expect us to go -4 in turnovers.

4. JayVols

You were comparing the end result with other teams. I did the same. Didn't know about the T/O qualifier. What was the T/O margin in the games you mentioned?

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think, perhaps irrationally, that if we can avoid turnovers that result in them getting the ball inside the 20 and/or pick 6, we have a good chance. Vandy is kind of a unique team on our schedule this year in that they aren't either dominant or utter trash (only a slight exaggeration).

6. Tar Volon

We lost by 28 to Mizzou and were -3 in turnovers. Vandy lost by 23 and were -1.

We lost by 32 to Auburn and were +1 in turnovers. Vandy lost by 32 to Texas A&M and were +2.

They were also +1 vs Georgia (win by 4), whereas we were -1 (lose in OT). They were -1 against South Carolina (lose by 10) and we were +2 (win by 2).

Florida and South Carolina are our only SEC results that are really, really different, and both can be explained by turnovers (3 in our favor vs Carolina compared to Vandy, 7 in their favor against Florida). So far, the results look pretty similar. Which, in the big picture, is a bad thing, but I won't go into it thinking we're facing a better team or anything. We've been roughly even so far, and we're both playing backup QBs (theirs threw for 57 and ran for 29 today FWIW)

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tar Volon is an angel of hope and mercy.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

9. JayVols

I don't mean this to be smart assy or whatnot, but isn't turnover margin one of the stats that is closely related to wins/losses that there is?

The downward trend of our level of play is what concerns me. I mean, this group has a history of mailing it in when the prize is a lower tier bowl. I realize this is a different staff, but once you mail it in the first time, the second time (if it hapoens this year, that's 3 years in a row) comes much easier.

10. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Win or disband this team. There is too much quit in good ol' Team 117. The Dooley trash needs to go. So do a few coordinators... If Vanderbilt and James Franklin leave Knoxville with a win then I'd prefer to shut the program down for the year and not allow them to travel to Lexington.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm worried about people mailing it in. Vandy talent wise isn't going to beat Tennessee.

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Vandy by 10

13. Tar Volon

Yeah, it is, but it's also one of the stats that's most likely to vary from week to week, so that Vandy had a great turnover margin yesterday doesn't concern me that much.

Your latter point is my biggest concern as well. This needs to look like a totally different team coming out of the bye.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Starting to get there myself. You always hear about the seniors deserving a bowl or whatever. I'm not so sure. Some of them, sure. I've seen a lot of quit out of these guys on the way to our worst four years ever. Not sure a half full stadium on senior day isn't well deserved.

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Do you know what the paid attendance was yesterday?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought I heard sellout.

17. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

If the team puts out the same effort against vandy as they did the last 3 weeks, every starter should be told to stay home for the Kentucky game.

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Vandy is a much better match up for us.

19. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

At least 35k were Auburn fans...

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I agree. Put Cam Sutton on Matthews all game.