What happened to the wait and see approach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 30, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

does anybody know if Hart keeps a list of candidates like Hamilton did?

2. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Guarantee Hart has a top 1-10 list of his choices .. at least.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Macon,
    I know some people who were friends of Hart's at Bama. He has a list. Dooley signed his death warrant when he lost Wilcox and Hart brought in Sunseri.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pretty please elaborate a bit. These are the posts/stories that keep me going.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Hart, the first man who was vocal about Bobby Bowden underachieving, is extremely impressed with what he saw in Smart. If he is not able to make an unGodly Saban-esque hire, he has brought in Sunseri to set the table for Smart to make a seamless takeover in December. Evidence of this was that defensive hiring responsibilities went straight to Sunseri when he got the DC job.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Who would we classify as Saban-esque, [penis]?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I imagine an NFL coach or championship-winning college coach. At least, that is what I would describe as "Sabanesque."

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I don't know enough to start giving names. I'd venture to guess that the list would be very similar to lists posted on here. In the words of my grandfather, Hart has been around the table and knocked over half the chairs. I'd be comfortable with any FB hire he makes.

9. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So in your opinion, Coach Dooley is done no matter what?

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Even the most conservative people close to the program say he has to win an impressive 9. Having below average 43 personnel and trying to make a move to a 34 makes that number nearly impossible.

11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I can see that, hell that's basically where I'm at right now anyways. Truth be told, firing him would suck in the sense that we have to go through another coaching search and the program would step back a bit again. But as we have seen, the right coach can turn around a program quick and Tennessee has the resources to expedite a quick turn around with the right guy at the helm.

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I don't think some people realize how close Dooley was to being fired after the UK game. (Not here, but other places) [penis], from what you know, was it simply a matter of Hart not being able to find the right guy, or did Dooley do one hell of a sales pitch?

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Why? I think we set ourselves back even more by keeping a shitty coach around.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I share the exact sentiment. I don't wanna go through another coaching change, but it really looks inevitable at this point.

15. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Don't take that to mean that I think the program would have to start over or that I think we should keep Coach Dooley to keep up appearances ("stability"). All I mean is that during a transition, there's a general period of readjustment which sometimes result in players leaving and things of that nature. All in all, if a minor step back is warranted to get a large step forward, I am all for it.

16. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

That's true, but it seems like most of the significant losses come when a bad coach is hired. The switch from Fulmer to Kiffin didn't really set us back at all; switching to Dooley [uck fay]ed us over partially because he's just incompetent.

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Whether we do or don't experience a minor setback with a coaching change, one thing is for certain and you nailed it, we are going to need a quality coach that knows what he is doing.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Dooley's words don't carry any weight with Hart. Going into the job, Hart knew he was going to get rid of Dooley, but he didn't think a situation would present itself to justifiably do so in 2011. Had he anticipated the shit show of November he would have been more prepared to drop the axe then.

19. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

totally agree. There's either excitement about your program, or there isn't.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This tells me two things:

1. The guys in power already know what they have in Dooley and aren't likely to be taken in by moderate improvement
    2. LWS is getting some bad information or he's in serious denial.