Are you going to watch The Hatfields and McCoy's on the History Channel?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, May 25, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

While I have an obvious bias, the first night indicates they went to great pains to be as historically accurate as they could and still make it watchable drama.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I liked it. Bill Paxton is a bad fit, but I will watch it again tonight.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Team hatfield.

4. hatvol96

"We are not infidels like the Hatfields." I've been smiling at that line all night.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Anyone know what time they'll show a replay of this tonight? I can't bring myself to skip the USA-Brazil game, but I do want to see this.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Dumb question of the day, obviously, but are you a hatfield of this descent? I never knew

7. hatvol96

Yes.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Bruce Pearl and Mike Griffith both just tweeted "Team McCoy."

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Very cool. I can only imagine the stories you have about that

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

lol

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I knew next to nothing of the actual history. Been reading up some while watching. Very interesting.

12. hatvol96

They'd fit right in with them. Losers like to hang with other losers.

13. hatvol96

I'm a bit surprised at how little dramatic license they've taken in this series. Of course, it's a pretty damn compelling story without any embellishment.

14. hatvol96

Frank Phillips is an incredibly intriguing historical figure. Very few true mercenaries in American history, outside of the Revolutionary Era.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think Costner as done a superb job as Devil Anse. The way he uses the pipe as a prop when speaking is pretty cool. (I'm saying this only artistically speaking; I know next to nothing about the real Devil Anse or his mannerisms).

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Rumor has it tony jones said "hatfields play checkers, mccoys play chess."

17. hatvol96

Tell Tony Jones that Memphis Mitchell and Stone Memorial say hello.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Hat, you ever read the book Fued: Hatfields, McCoys, and Social Change in Appalachia?

I have been a part of a program called Teaching American History. Been a great program. We read the book and discussed it in depth. The author paints the fued as being a part of clash between mountain culture and the emerging national industrial culture that had allied itself with the McCoys.

I was just wondering if any of that held any water in the stories passed down to you.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Also Hat, how is the feud today?

20. hatvol96

I think it was almost purely fueled by personal grievances, real and imagined. The fact the New York Times and the eastern elite bought the McCoy's claims of martyrdom, while annoying, had little to do with anything other than the Supreme Court allowing those captured by Phillips' raids into West Virginia to be tried in Kentucky. The damage had been done by the time the world outside the Tug Fork River Valley began to take notice.