I've always wanted to __________ but can't because...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The thread about the dude going 193 on his bike made me think about stuff I've always wanted to do but can't/won't. So i figured I'd start this thread and see where it goes. I'll start.

I've always wanted to get in a high speed car chase and see how long I could go without getting stopped and caught. Obviously I cannot do this because I'd end up in jail and could seriously injure others or myself.

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I think the statue of limitations is up, I did outrun the THP on US 25 heading north between Bean Station and Tazewell in a 5.0 Mustang. I was able to dodge them by taking a side road when I was out of their sight, and I found a parked school bus in a driveway that I hid behind to be safe.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nice, broyles.

I'd love to be able to start a bar brawl at the drop of a hat, consequence free. Too much of a legal eagle and weenie to do it.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wouldn't be worried too much. Once, several years ago, I was on AL 20 near Courtland and passed a state trooper doing about 85. I wouldn't call it a chase so much as I was able to get around a bend and get on a side street before he could get across the traffic behind me. I parked in a driveway within 100 yards of the highway, next to a van and ducked down in the seat of my truck. I could literally feel the car go by with sirens blaring. Luckily, I was near my turn off the highway, so I took some back roads to get there. I didn't want to take the chance on him doubling back.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Heading south on 75 towards Knoxville, there is a downhill slope as you approach the Emory Road exit that cops will sit at the bottom of and catch folks speeding all day. One morning I was running late and going probably 75 or 80 as I crested that ridge and started down. I was one of maybe 4 cars on the road around me, and clearly going the fastest. I could see a cop down there and knew he must surely have me.

So I took the Emory exit which was right before where he would pull out. He was right between the exit and entrance ramps, so there was no way he could get onto Emory Rd to get to me without driving up to the next exit or doing something really crazy with too many cars on the interstate. I was even more late, but I bet that poor guy was pissed. He turned on his lights as I approached, and then turned them off as I took the exit.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I've always wanted to skydive, base jump, or use a wingsuit. I had an opportunity is Australia but ruined it by notifying my soon to be wife. For whatever reason this video makes me want to say screw it and go!

[video=youtube;TWfph3iNC-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k[/video]

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

SOJ explicitly told us to never even think about getting to do that because we suck too much for even fantasy jumps.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Never been in a bar brawl, but I was in something like one at the campground outside Talladega Superspeedway once. A guy had bought a hand full of camping spots together, set up a stage, and started in with karaoke. One Friday night, after too many beers to count, one of the guys camping in our group got on stage. This guy was actually a decent singer that took it a little too seriously when some guy in the crowd started heckling him. Shortly after the song, our guy came down from the stage and took to stewing over it. He finally looked at me and a couple other guys and told us to come with him for a second. He walked up, tapped the heckler on the shoulder, and proceeded to punch him square in the face just as the guy turned around and with no words spoken between them. Beer got splashed onto girlfriends and red neck knuckle draggers, and all of a sudden, half of about 50-80 or so people, including a former pro-wrestler, a cowboy from Indiana, and a guy named Cotton Joe (who correctly predicted the sex of both of my kids before they were born just by looking at my wife when she was pregnant) were pushing, shoving, punching, biting, or kicking. I was either too naive or too drunk to figure out what was going on before our guy started the mess, so it all caught me by a bit of surprise. I did manage to give a little better than I got in the proceedings. Burned one of the heckler's buddies with my cigarette before he could clock me from the side, but otherwise, the entire ordeal was weapons-free as far as I know. It ended pretty quick when, at a minute or two in, the "owner" (he was an owner of a bar in Pensacola), got up on the stage yelling for security over the microphone and telling everyone to go "home". The speedway thugs did show up. It was about 24 hours later, but they did show up.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Who?

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Only rivaled by AJ in 8thmaxim poster lore..............

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Ah...savage orange jug was it?

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Affirmative.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would like to hear more about Cotton Joe and the cowboy from Indiana.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Lie underneath the glaze part at a Krispy Kreme. I can't because I know it would burn.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have always wanted to chase a massive tornado. (such as the Tuscaloosa tornado). I have never done it because of the terrain in Middle Tennessee. Its to dangerous.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Cotton Joe was from somewhere that might as well be Bumpkin, GA. He's a mechanic and operates a tow truck as I recall. Nice fellow who claimed to have a near 100% success rate at predicting baby's sex.

The cowboy from Indiana was a few years younger than most of our group at the time. He was a college-age guy from somewhere in Indiana who [itch bay]ed about the Alabama heat, stayed drunk on some KY whiskey that escapes my memory, and wore cut-off blue jeans with a belt buckle as big as the bottom of a sauce pan, a cowboy hat, and cowboy boots. He also talked about corn-holing when none of us had heard about it. The corn-holing talk coupled with the boots and shorts, with t-shirt optional, look caused us to question his sexuality quite frequently which greatly annoyed him.

Both of these guys camped in the same general area as our group for several years at the the Spring race. Most of the people around us were okay back then. The place has descended further into depravity than I care witness these days.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I have always wanted to thru hike the AT, but money, kids, and lack of time off work prevent that. I should have done it years ago when I had less money and even less sense.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It ain't hard out in Eastern CO/West Kansas. Come on out.

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I wish I could.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I always wanted to do several things involving heights, sky diving, hang gliding, bungee jumping, ultra light flying, etc. but am uneasy with heights. Put me in a race car or motorcycle, no problem, I have done rappelling and zip lines, but there you are still attached to something that is attached to the ground.

Also, I always thought it would be neat to run with the bulls at Pamplona.