POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

with pricing, you define the limit and thus the market responds through pricing.

I don't care how, it needs get under control

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm just saying this won't control it. Set a target, punish like hell.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Carbon price is reasonably effective. Why do you think it won’t control it?

I will say it’s hard to set the right price for the end result you want but setting a target for each entity and having no market mechanism seems inefficient.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Politicians will use it for personal gain like every other tax or revenue stream.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, pricing it makes it market-driven. And an important aspect of this is that it gives incentive to innovate within existing fuel systems. Coal is dying, but it is mostly just being straight up replaced by natural gas. That reduces the rate of increase in emissions, but doesn't and won't flatten it. Renewables do not fully meet the needs of our existing way of life, and some of the needed materials for them are not economically abundant-- also not easy to mine. Doing it with a carbon price simultaneously pushes new technology and also provides an avenue to improve natural gas. It's less of a shock on the energy sector as a whole. Less of a shock means less societal pain, which reduces the political and social resistance.

So I do think it actually is a solid move at this moment and time, even if not the total solution. I think a lot of the resistance has come from coal, but they have made the strategic mistake of ignoring that natural gas is their only real competition regardless. If they were smarter, they would have been fighting fracking all along.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Why do that game when we could just push nuclear and be done with it.

That and changes to agriculture would solve basically the whole thing. While fixing a host of other problems.

warhammer likes this.
  7. TennTradition

Nuclear with electrification of mobility would be great - but we live in a post-Fukushima world where even formerly pro-nuclear regions of the world are now phasing it out.

8. TennTradition

I’m sympathetic to the argument. I’ve never seen a large revenue stream spent efficiently.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It is better than nothing. I agree. It's just that I see it as another way for the federal government to name winners and losers, pay for wars or social programs without consequence, and so on. I don't hate it. I just don't like it as much. I hate the credit scam.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

you could set something independent up, like the fed.

11. cpninja

cpninja Member

an honest mistake

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

VolDad likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

[​IMG]

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Let me get this right.

College got really expensive due to government subsidizing it while colleges soaked up the money for administrative positions and buildings.

So the answer is even more money from the government?

warhammer likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Out of all the dems. I’d vote for Andrew Yang.

Eliminate all social welfare programs including social security besides a basic national income and single payer.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It may confuse you to learn that public schools got their start from government grants.

And yet still kept prices low.

It's almost like economies grew, and as a result of that free market, so too did these colleges.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

well you see, the poors started coming to college, so we had to cut state and federal funding and make the poors earn it. and they kept coming and coming, so we charged more and more. they had to start taking loans. but then we had some poors get clever and try to discharge the debt, so we made that illegal. and then colleges started staffing up to handle all the bureaucracy attached to these loans, grants, and other hoops, and so you see it's the damn loans and the poors who need them's fault. College will be a lot more affordable for those who can afford it without all the effects of those poors trying to go.

they should just be content hoping to be one of the 10 or 15% that break through without any college experience.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There is no high price of college without the free market's failed, and stupid, idea that just about every job out there requires a college degree, or technical certificate.

NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I understand land grant universities and have no issue with public universities as a public welfare. Especially back in the day when information wasn’t nearly accessible.

The student loan situation is way different is basically turning a lot of people into style indentured servitude to the government and banks.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s not driven by the free market. The market is begging for skilled labor.

That’s a huge failure of public education k-12 and everything being geared toward college.

It’s slowly starting to change but not nearly fast enough.