POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Private education is geared toward college. Always has been. That's why private schools tout their college admission numbers.

What drives public education toward college is the number of private sector jobs requiring college degrees where one is not anywhere remotely needed. Nobody needs a degree in marketing to manage a McDoanld's franchise. Nobody needs a degree in business to work as a bank teller. Nobody needs a degree to be a supervisor for a grocery store.

But the free market has made it so. Why else do you think that every job out there requires a degree?

You're essentially saying there is a surplus of people with a college degree simply because schools taught it. Oh, and simply because there were so many, the free market just said, screw it, we'll just keep requiring the surplus? Your argument fails very simply.

College degrees exist because the free market has made a demand for them. No other reason exists.

2. fl0at_

The student loan situation doesn't exist without a demand for degrees.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

His comments about coal miners becoming programmers is next level. Still the DNC will work hard for their boy.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

6. fl0at_

I would rather they become politicians.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Everyone on Fox was talking about how bad it makes the coal miners feel and my first thought was what about the programmers? He said if you can scoop a bucket coal certainly you can learn to be a programmer (something like that). I guess it's just that easy.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why can't they be programmers? Why can't programmers mine coal? This is America, anything is possible. Coal miners aren't dumb. We are doing them no favors by making them think they should be miners and miners only. Because most mining jobs are mechanized now, for one.

tvolsfan likes this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There’s certainly an IQ aspect that both the left and the right ignore.

Everyone isn’t equal and everyone can’t just pull themselves up by their boot straps.

I’m not for or against coal.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If they can then why are they not doing it already. Certainly more money and quality of life is better programming.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Remember when Twitter banned a bunch of accounts for tweeting laid off journalists "LeArN tO cOdE"? Why couldn't those people who are clearly the smartest people in the room just switch careers like that? Anyone can learn to do anything, but the learn to code bullshit is just the lefts version of the right saying just get a job and you wont be homeless.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

because life is partly about circumstances. I guarantee many coal miners could be many other things. I'd bet my life on it. we do not have castes.

tvolsfan likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

bit journalists have gone on to do other things. part of the current technological revolution is being played out in front of us.

dont sell anyone short, humans are adaptive.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I said anyone can learn to do anything, I'm not selling anyone short. I'm saying just telling someone that lost their job, "sorry bro, learn to code." is intellectually lazy.

15. fl0at_

Why they gotta be programmers? Why can't they learn to be electricians, or plumbers, or chefs, or microbiologists?

"You'll adapt. You'll overcome. You'll get through this, because if you can dig coal, you can do anything!"

"Learn to code, guys."

zehr27 likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree. we need to help teach each other

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

yes!

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm not saying they can't but I don't think it's as easy as Biden was making it sound.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

has Biden ever had a real job? Besides corn pop

zehr27 likes this.
  20. fl0at_

It's not hard to program. Programming is more of a trade these days than the trades. There aren't any real standards. There are "best practices," which are highly subjective.

Programmers coming out of school are trash. There is very little focus in object oriented programming. Schools teach a lot of scripting languages which have rudimentary, at best, debugging practices. Most of them can't do a single bit of step through debugging, and their solution is to just hack in a bunch of garbage logic to see if they can catch bugs.

They litter the code with comments, because that is how they are taught in school, and then can't for the life of them understand why when I give them a piece of test code that is commented the same way, that it doesn't perform the way the comments say it does. (Here's a hint, I wrote the code different than the comment, to teach you to learn to read code, not what you think the code is doing.)

The best example I can give of shit programmers that "learned to code," (but don't have any actual professional work) is all over the dev board sites like arduino and particle. Everything is stuffed in the equivalent of main(), nothing is broken out, code is littered with hacks, no use of functions, or abstraction, or anything.

It's just garbage. And new programmers can learn to do better than school (I used to be the same way)... but like chefs, I'd rather have a programmer that went and did several years with a good shop, than someone that came out of school.

I've spent the last two years in my current gig unscrewing work done by 20 years of "learned to code" folks. And I spent an hour this morning unscrewing what I can only call a "new year's bug"... which was where database design was, for some reason, built around the idea that database should be named based on what year it was storing the data.... rather than using, I don't know... tables.

So when the year rolled...

The Dooz and NorrisAlan like this.