Calling non-retarded people “retard” is retarded.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 1, 2020.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Honestly, I used to use it all the time. Once my wife and I started dating, which is when I started to come in contact with the guy, I definitely broke the habit and don't use it anymore. I don't take offense to it, but understand people who do.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wanting others to just be respectful is called PC now.

Interesting.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I also find it interesting the dude who won't allow the word "cracker", even in jest, has no issue with "retard" and will, instead, elucidate and celebrate the nuances of the word.

Ssmiff likes this.
  4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, before we can determine if those here have set a suitable standard of what you can, can’t, should or should not say, to anyone, anywhere, on any topic, in any setting, or are even capable of doing so....isn’t it more worthwhile to first question whether or not they possess the necessary authority to do so, at all, ever, and first?

If others lack the authority to determine what you should and shouldn’t say, and when - why wonder if they’ve made a fair determination, or care what they think, at all?

Simply, we should settle the question of “must”, first, before we jump to “should”.

I’m happy to go first in asserting my personal belief that no one has the right to tell you what you can or can’t say. In fact, I’d argue that your ceding such control - even if voluntarily, and with the best and highest intentions - risks a far greater danger of more lasting and widespread harm, than anything which could occur in reserving and exercising that right.

What reasonably-minded adult would find the exercising of free speech - even at the necessary risk of causing offense - to be more repugnant than it’s removal and absence?

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Got Tenny down as a solid "maybe".

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hasn't that always been the aim of PC?

7. Unimane

Soooooo, there are no words which can't be said here in this forum of "free speech"? None? Nothing at all?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. Unimane

PC has been the greatest gift to assholes. Now, instead of just being an asshole for what you say, the over-judiciousness of some allows them to claim to be "non-PC" and persecuted in some manner. I say, when someone calls themselves "not PC", we go back to what we used to call most of them who expressed themselves in this manner, just assholes.

9. CardinalVol

Eh, yes and no.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Well, I guess I need to first understand how refusing to say “retard” is necessarily respectful, before I can determine if saying “retard” is also and equally disrespectful.

Says who, under what authority, and by what standard, and in either or any direction?

And even once we determine what is/n’t dis/respectful, how would either of those things be any suitable standard for free speech, much less it’s boundary?

The assumption that it is a suitable boundary for limiting free speech, demanding the agreement and adherence of all, and deriding anyone who dares to disagree with or question such an illegitimate edict, is exactly political correctness.

It is the definition and acme of political correctness.

11. CardinalVol

Scenario -

You - "that's retarded."

Me - "hey man, I'd prefer you not say that around me."

Option 1 -

You - "sorry man, didn't know that bothered you, I'll make a mental note"

Me - "thanks man"

Option 2 -

You - "[uck fay] you, I can say whatever I want you snowflake retard."

Me - "what a [uck fay]ing asshole"

Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you "should" do something. Hence, respect.

12. Tenacious D

Is being respectful a necessary goal, much less our best, highest and most important one?

What do you think is more important than being respectful to others, if anything?

13. CardinalVol

Or, to use a normal scenario at my house -

9 year old (to his sister) - You are stupid.

Me - Don't call your sister stupid.

9 year old - But she is!

Me - No, she's not, and even if she was, you still don't call her stupid.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

PC seems more of a command and "asshole" is just a critique. Subtle difference and it is a big difference.

Free speech comes with a lot of responsibility. Use it mindfully.

15. CardinalVol

The Christmas episode of the first season of South Park has always been my go to for describing PC - we want to whitewash the culture and remove everything that could possibly ever remotely offend anyone and the end it become a hysterical yet eye-opening Christmas play.

Respect is having the freedom to do and say whatever you want, yet the wisdom and dignity to know when and when not to say it.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

PC is people v people.

Free speech is government v people.

PC has not a bit to do with free speech.

17. CardinalVol

Also true.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, probably not and lots of things. I was just surprised to see "being respectful" and "PC" being similar as a new thing.

19. Tenacious D

I’m not sure that this is an accurate re-telling of any conversation I’ve had...but I’ll accept it as an example.

Why must the limits of my speech be based on your personal preference?

And does that work the same way for everyone, including your agreeing to allow my personal preferences to define and limit your speech?

I remember Maryville whipping Halls’ ass several years ago, and hearing your making any mention of Maryville football only reminds me of that game’s heartbreaking loss. Now knowing that your saying anything about Maryville / Maryville football only makes me re-live anew the horrors of that night, and you should immediately stop any mention of it.

And if you don’t, then you’re a jerk.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think respect is a good way to view it, and how most do.

PC is an attempt to define respectful boundaries, in a cultural way, whereas respect is more of a personal thing.

Unimane likes this.