COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That mentality can kill more people.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is already generic, mister. It's been around for decades.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

So can the mentality of we can’t do anything till 100% sure.

There’s no free lunch

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Just about 75 years

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It’s generic already.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My view is this:

If you allow widespread use of XXYYZZ based off of hearsay and anecdotal evidence, then what is to keep me from promoting Dr. Alan's Miracle Elixir and Ointment? We have these safeties in place because of the widespread snakeoil and quack medicine that was rampant in the 1800's and early 1900's.

It sucks to have someone like the President promoting something like this when the science isn't in yet. He could (and should, imho) be more generic and say "There are some promising treatments out there and we need to fast track this as safely as possible." But he insists on repeating stuff he reads and hears on the internet as fact, and frankly, his track record on stuff like this isn't all that great if I remember correctly. (not drugs, but just random internet conspiracy stuff).

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Never heard of not having enough of a generic drug.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There’s never been much demand for it.

Pretty hard to find acetaminophen lately, too. And that’s a drug we do use all the time.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It might be hard to make, and that doesn't change with it being generic. I don't know with this drug, know nothing about it, but just refuting your generic (pun intended) statement.

Ssmiff likes this.
  10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

And the worlds largest producer stopped shipping it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nothing has ever been or is expected to be 100 %. But reproducible results are necessary. Otherwise, we wouldn't have modern medicine.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I understand it to be not very hard to make in the realm of other drugs. You would still need to scale up a production line though, as nothing is too easy to produce in global quantities.

kpt just mentioned acetaminophen is low. Pretty sure we made that in chemistry class in high school. It's not about "hard," it is about quantity. There's a LOT of demand.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

South Korea was extremely high on it, WHO, and other doctors from other countries have all touted it as a treatment.

It’s a medicine that’s been around close to a century that’s proven safe.

It might not be that effective but even if it’s marginally effective with few complications it can still be a positive.

I don’t see the big deal. No one has stated it’s a cure all but if can keep some people out of the hospital or on a vent. That’s a win

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would be a win. But it's also a powerful, toxic anti-parasite drug with meaningful side effects and risks. So dosing everyone with it may lead to more negative outcomes than are avoided from COVID. Do I know that? Nope. No one does yet. Which is my only point, and I'll let it go.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We’ll know soon enough since doctors here are prescribing it as treatment

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we are not doing it in a carefully documented way, we will not know. E.g., if you are giving it to only the patients who are relatively healthy and before they are in serious distress, you will not ever know if it made a difference unless you had a control group of the same type of patients not receiving it.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the studies are on going.

Best I can tell, it helps but it doesn't "cure" if administered early on for the majority of people. I believe it has kept otherwise healthy people out of ICUs which is a win.

There's plenty of people that can't take it due to underlying issues, which are known and there's people this is given to that would have recovered without it.

Doctors are arguing about it now, some saying it's amazing some saying it's not helping at all.

I dig ditches and build buildings, so I'm no expert.

Tenacious D and A-Smith like this.
  19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Trying to treat a disease no one is very sure about with a drug that most docs aren’t overly familiar with is just kind of dicey.

Well this virus could permanently mess up your lungs. Here’s a drug that maybe helps but could also maybe screw up your heart.

And it appears to be ineffective as a last ditch effort, so you aren’t getting into those “nothing to lose” situations. It’s a calculated gamble.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am similarly no expert, don't get the wrong idea.