COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

After a few more days of data, folks at UW have cut their hospital usage expectations. Great news!

I believe their estimated death % went down too, but I don't know exact numbers off hand.

Tenacious D likes this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t see the issue.

First off trump isn’t handing it out to anyone. Doctors have to prescribe it and there’s information out there about it and the treatment.

He’s just pushed for it to be allowed so doctors could try it if they wanted to with their patients

Doctors here and around the world are using it as a treatment against the virus.

It’s mostly empirical data but still not like Trump just pulled it out of his ass either.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Damn Tennessee dramatically dropped our death total and hospital resources in their model

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont understand the big deal of trying it prior to someone dying. Why arent more patients using it in NY, prior to 700 more people supposedly dying from CV? Not using because it may affect the heart? Heart is dead soon. Who cares.
    I would be livid if my wife was laying there about to pass and wasnt given at least a chance with the cocktail, left by herself laying there with no attempt at something CV patients and drs here and overseas have said saved lives.
    Does anybody have any idea if patients are given this option or is it luck of the draw, depending on the doctor?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Pretty sure that's specifically how it doesn't work: you give it prior to someone becoming critical.

2. How do you know they are not? The one guy claiming to have given it to 600 patients is in New York.

3. For people with the complicating heart issues, it kills you dead very quickly. Maybe you know better than all the doctors, but I doubt it.

4. What you're saying is you would be livid if something unproven that you think could work based on feelings were denied to you, because someone overseas said it worked. Okay.

5. You're assuming there is enough for every patient to get it. Seems to not be the case, given that there aren't that many people prescribed it for other uses and they already can't get it due to the shortage from people willing to try it, or at least horde it.

6. What if it is available, but only for a million dollars a dose, and you will need several? Just curious if that makes it okay for refusal. And if so, why is 1 million too much but 1,000 or 100 alright? Just curious.

6. Ssmiff

IP, if you cant respond like a man and stop with the "maybe you know better than the drs, but i doubt it" childish 14 year old girl shit when im asking a general question or make a point, just [uck fay] off. Seriously. Or ignore. Either is fine.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's more than just one doctor saying it works, though, around the world.

It does have to be given earlier on, best I can tell.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

When they give it to people, they’re cured of China Flu, and immune to it.

Recall, this is fiction, IP.

9. Tenacious D

He argues against it, and urges that people await it to be formally tested before taking it / making it publicly / widely available.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you don't want to hear answers, don't ask questions.

zehr27 likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Guess I die then.

Tenacious D likes this.
  12. Tenacious D

Shut your whore mouth.

kmf600 likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

So...”China”.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

But what about studies? There haven't been organized studies, so any doctor saying it works or doesn't is basing it on anecdotal experience easily influenced by any number of factors they are not controlling for.

This is how all of science is done. And if this does work, it will only be known to work by doing the actual work.

15. Ssmiff

This is the information id like to know. How many total patients in NY, outside of the 1 dr on google, have been treated with the cocktail, and how many patients who have died, have been treated.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It sounds like at that point your wife missed the window and it might be a waste to give it to her (assuming their are zillions of other people needing it and limited quantity of drug).

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’ve heard that the drug only negatively affects Swedish people.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Wonder how long it would take to go generic or if even allowed due to the the drug patent timeframe.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No one here is against the science but by the time that’s done even if it was found to be effective.

The need would be almost over.

We live in an imperfect world and some times you got to play the hand dealt to you.