COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Saw a graph showing pneumonia deaths thru the years. Drastic decline this year in correlation with rise in CV.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Huh? Documented covid deaths have only been significant in the US for a couple of weeks. If people were dying of pneumonia in January and February due to the virus then it would have been listed as pneumonia.

Can you link that graph?

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Rare footage of a successful Tenny fishing excursion:

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

This is all that was sent. Can hardly read it.

Attached Files:

A-Smith likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here - let me give you a jolt of adrenaline.

MAsters currently planning on playing the week we play UGA in Athens.

MaconVol, gcbvol, SetVol13 and 2 others like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Let's pull a Sherman and burn it all down

MaconVol, AbeFroman, SetVol13 and 4 others like this.
  7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is what it looks like at the cleaning table when we're cleaning our fish, but we have raccoons. And if you don't put the fish right in the raccoon's hand, like just throw it on the ground next to him, he gives you a look, like thanks dickhead.

OneForVol, justingroves and gcbvol like this.
  8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

So help me understand if I’m misinterpreting this, but the directive by the CDC here is, even in the absence of a positive test result, if it’s “assumed” that Covid19 may have “contributed”, then protocol is just to go ahead and log the cause of death as covid19? Does this not, even if only minimally, artificially inflate the death totals? E0742193-FAF4-4895-BD35-C8972F384895.jpeg

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I mean, if an elderly person came in with pneumonia and died, they could (or would even be expected to?) just chalk it up to covid on a hunch, right?

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Just guessing, but I think this might be applicable in a situation where someone in the household tested positive, four people had similar symptoms, the grandma died, etc.

I think it's kind of a wash. I'm assuming that with the sheer amount of cases that we're probably undercounting, we're missing a good chunk of deaths as well.

The total impact of this thing will always be a very educated guess.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

And they can always go back and evaluate cases later. This is why numbers are sometimes adjusted up or down later.

12. Ssmiff

If you look at the pneumonia graph, it appears it may be happening quite a bit. Again, numbers are off for here another reason.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's interesting. Looks like last data point is early March. Be some potential good news to keep our eyes on if that number keeps dropping. However, even if it goes all the way to 0 (not happening) it would still be swamped by the volume that are expected to die of CV.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

In other good news, IHME modeling appears to be getting more fine tuned,and they are adjusting a lot of their estimates down a little.

IP likes this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We had this argument like, 20 pages ago

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not really an argument, just is what it is.

justingroves likes this.
  17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Dammit. This thread moves too quickly for me to keep up.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay, things are looking a lot better now. The measures must be working. New York growth is kinda flat.

Tenacious D likes this.
  19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

NEW: @NYGovCuomo says drug trials in the hospitals of hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax have has positive results, anecdotally, but not conclusive.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

No - a positive test is needed.