COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So....exactly what everyone has been saying around the world for a little while

MaconVol likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

New York had to reach a saturation point soon enough. They are going to have a lot of deaths over the next week or so. My concern now is when outside areas are going to start showing their rise in cases and fatalities, some of which already are.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

A model that I am beginning to like suggests NY has been at peak new cases/day for the last 2 weeks and is starting to fall which means active cases are falling.

But that same model sees total cases rising from about 2.5 MM in the US today to 7 MM by the end of the month (and of peaking) WITH effective motivation continuing (meaning light lockdown, which is how they describe what we are doing). I think they begin to peak new cases per day in May but on log plots it’s hard to tell.

Based on this, I think it would roughly mean we would hit the 50,000 death mark by mid-May. I can’t tell how they have it progressing from there. Moving from about 1000 deaths a day now toward 2000 deaths per day if we maintain light lockdown.

IP likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unimane likes this.
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's pneumonia and flu. Obviously flu is getting hammered really well by the social distancing.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I got confirmation from my friend that works at our local hospital. He said there is a refrigerated truck parked outside the hospital that they've been putting the covid bodies in. He says they're not reporting them in the official death toll yet. He only knows of 2 that he is 100% that died from complications of covid

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

9. TennTradition

The report is correct.

The accuracy of the model is questionable however a total deaths level of 80k doesn’t seem too far off from the model I mentioned above. Though I’m extrapolating there to get that number from the other model because they don’t project out to August like IHME does.

10. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Some pretty damning tweets have been bumped from medical advisers in New York. Stuff about not needing to change your routine and to go out and enjoy the city.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting twitter thread. For those wondering if the numbers are being overestimated, consider this (got to go read the thread):

13. TennTradition

It’s also worth noting I don’t think they’re at their final saturation point - but the saturation point relative to their current social distancing efforts. Meaning how/when they let off the gas on those, active cases could rise again.

Deaths probably trail reported cases by two weeks. It seems from onset to death is about 17-18 days. If you assume there is a few day delay after onset before testing and several days delay between testing and confirmed positive, then you are at about a 12-13 day delay of deaths behind a reported new cases peak. Assuming no treatment changes in the interim.

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

As much as I got frustrated for what I perceived to be Trump dragging his ass on this, Bill de Blasio REALLY [uck fay]ed this one up.

You have to try and be cautious going back and judging people in hindsight, but holyyyyy shit he probably made it so much worse.

Volst53 likes this.
  15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's one of the guys saying we should all be out celebrating Chinese New Year. Now he's saying they might turn Central Park into a cemetery. Oops.

justingroves likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He makes Trump seem cautious

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was the President saying on February 9th?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably making fun of Joe Biden if I had to guess.

As far as death count inaccuracies, this guy is saying hundreds of New Yorkers are dying in their homes every day and not getting added to the COVID-19 even though most of them are certainly due to that.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Two wrongs.

IP likes this.