COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's why nobody knows who you are.

MaconVol and zehr27 like this.
  2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

“Including me.”

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Birx looks like she’s over this shit. Lol

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The US has resolved its issues with diagnostic testing using RT-PCR. These are tests that are expensive to run, take special chemicals, and are also lengthy tests. We cannot scale this type of test to the type of numbers that we probably all want to see with regard to testing. But we've addressed our early, significant problems.

If we want to scale significantly beyond where we are, we need antigen tests. (and antibody tests for our return plans, as well)

The media needs to find a new dog to hunt. Man they can be a whiny bunch. I don't care for the way the president treats people - it's a huge part of my problem with him. If I treated people that I think I know better than that way at work I'd be fired within a week (although treating them somewhere in between how I do and how he does would probably land me a few promotions...haha). But, it's a trait some like in him.

5. InVolNerable

[​IMG]

He’s like Achilles, but without the weakness.

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm quite fine with not being known like he is - a [uck fay]ing baby. Every day crying about the media and people's treatment of him with stupid little middle school insults for anyone who doesn't fellate him.

In six weeks, a Vietnam's worth number of Americans have died and some think it's funny for him to act this petulant. Sorry, he's just a crybaby loser.

reverendgeneral likes this.
  7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My wife is watching a you tube video on how to give haircuts right now.

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Some more Remdesivir buzz today. As far as I can tell, there are multiple ongoing studies with varying levels of credibility. The least credible study (run by the company itself) is showing promising results.

I'm down for some cautious optimism, though.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

IP likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

What are they wrong about?

12. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I think the main takeaway from the CA study should have been, yes, we are probably significantly undercounting cases and missing large amounts of asymptomatic cases. But we can't really get into estimates or percentages based on that.

It makes sense that we're missing deaths, but ultimately I don't think it will have a material impact on the death rate considering the undercounting of cases.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Did you read the articles?

IP and A-Smith like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ive seen several opinions about those guys. Who knows who is right. Is Musk a dumbass?
    If they said many more patients have it and death rate is much lower, ill ask again, what are they wrong about.
    There are plenty of very smart people who believe the same as them. The people who apparantly are wrong, fell 100% for the media hype and believe death rates and cases are accurate.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Dude, just read the article posted, and you will understand the the problems with their methodology.

If you're only testing people that come in seeking a test due to COVID-19 symptoms, of course your numbers are going to suggest that large percentage of those people have it. You can't just apply those percentages to the rest of the State to draw the conclusion that the death rate is low.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

She was more cold blooded than he was, damn

17. Ssmiff

Indy up until last week or 2 in TN, only people with symptoms were asked to be tested. They didnt want asymptomatic people coming in and getting tested for various reasons. And with 25-50% of people estimated to have the virus and not know it, there are millions walking around with it than show up on testing in Cali.
    Additionally, they arent the first group in california to come up with the same conclusions

So, you can tell me to just read the article, but you taking the article as 100% accurate isnt my problem.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's probably a wash, as they would say

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  19. InVolNerable

This is gold coming from quite possibly one of, if not `the`, whiniest SOB I've ever encountered; Holden Caulfield thinks you complain excessively. I'd think you would have a thorough appreciation for his whininess, in the same way Gaugin and Van Gogh fed off each other.

Also, what an idiotic and arbitrary number.

The flu killed a WWI's worth of Americans this year, but not as bad as the Vietnam's worth it got last year. It was only a Korean War's worth in 2016-17, and estimated to be as low as a Mexican-American War's worth in 2015-16. But it managed to take care of a Vietnam's worth in 2014-15 .

Heart diseases kills almost 1.5 Civil War's worth of Americans, and cancer kills 2 WWII's worth every year. A 9/11's worth of infants die from SIDS every year.

MaconVol, zehr27, Tenacious D and 3 others like this.
  20. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

This is good content

Ssmiff likes this.