Dialect test

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by A-Smith, Oct 12, 2020.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm interested in how people say lawyer (I pronounce the "law" part clearly. it's not a loyer) and crayon (Again two clear syllables here).

I'm also interested in what you call a traffic circle, something that is diagonal (I say catty-corner usually), and the difference in supper and dinner (for me dinner can be noon meal --I say lunch too-- or formal like Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.).

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If you differ on any of these from me, you are either a carpetbagger or a moron or worse (Californian or Canadian or something). I will allow roundabout.

justingroves likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Pretty close. Glad the west Tennessee is still there. I say crayahn and LAWyer and roundabout

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    SetVol13 and A-Smith like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mine's going to be off because I spent a lot of time growing up in very different corners of the country: Idaho, Vermont, New Mexico, Alaska, and Tennessee.

You drink a soda, you catch crawdads, those are lightning bugs. The thing kept putting me in wildly different places, but I didn't grow up in one place.

Attached Files:

A-Smith likes this.
  7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's a respectable map. Agree on lightning bugs and crawdads. Although people in Franklin Kentucky called them crawfish. I grew up calling them soft drinks or cold drinks which is weird. Now I will alternate coke and soda (wife has done this to me and actually it's an improvement). Can't do pop.

8. cpninja

cpninja Member

yall, LAW-yer, catty-corner, roundabout, what kind of coke do you want?

there were some where I say a couple different things(lightning bug/firefly, yard/garage sale, etc) too, but not enough to pick one definitively over the other

I dont have any distinction between dinner/supper though. "Supper" to me is just what older people call dinner

Attached Files:

A-Smith likes this.
  9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A-Smith likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, they're isopods, not pill bugs. They didn't give me an option for isopods.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My area has different dialect and sayings.

Didn’t know it till heading off to college legit got into it with a fatass from Chattanooga because we call Coke pop.

We got cut off in the Cumberland mountains and didn’t adapt to the changes in time of the language.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am LAWyer, and crayahn, but I am soda or soft drink.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My papaw calls them dopes

utvol0427 likes this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Heavy midwestern accent is not surprising. It being centered in Nebraska is.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yup, we're twinsies.

A-Smith likes this.
  18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It is a noble tongue.