COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That is their conclusion, yes

From Yanni Gu:

Further from Briand:

From the article:

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Then why am I seeing that there were, at this point in 2018, 2.17 million deaths in the USA and this year there are 2.39 million deaths, almost equal to the number of COVID deaths?

And why is it always economists that are saying this thing has nil effect or not a factor?

3. fl0at_

Probably because there are excess deaths, and COVID is the cause.

As to economics, you can get a PhD in it, and only have to know how to draw a XY plot with an X in the middle

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Just horrible conclusions. The plot is correct but doesn’t remotely show what they are concluding. Why go to all that trouble when you could perform simple excess death analysis. Yes not all excess deaths are COVID but ..... come on.....

5. fl0at_

Yup. Very bad conclusions.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like this is the field of economics in a nutshell.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Notice i mentioned when i posted it that i didnt trust the source once i looked it up, due to its supposed heavy right lean

TennTradition likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I noticed and commend you for not accepting it at face value.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. fl0at_

Your source was just the portal to the source, and I don't think John Hopkins' student newspaper is a heavy right lean.

The actual source of it all is terrible conclusions. Your link could have been writ by angels, it wouldn't have made the source material correct.

10. TennTradition

Scott Atlas resigns.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dr. Atlas has resigned from the WH task force. Just in time to miss what I believe will be the deadliest month in the entire pandemic. Deadliest in part because of his horrible, unscientific advice.

12. TennTradition

Atlas was like a syringe of heroin for this president.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why do so many countries seem to be getting hit hard with this thing again at the same time?

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Winter in the northern hemisphere, I would assume.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

it is primarily transmitted in enclosed spaces. in winter in the northern hemisphere, more people spend more time indoors. same as flu season. Also, a lot of people all over the world have pandemic fatigue

16. TennTradition

Yeah I’ll just add to that, the steps required to control it are also different in the winter than the summer. As base leve infections rise in colder weather (due to time people spend in close proximity and even humidity I believe), the actions taken to slow the spread in the summer wouldn’t be enough to slow it now.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fourth deadliest day of the pandemic in the US today, reporting-wise. And I see no reason to think that was the peak. I think we go to 3,000 in a day soon.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This was 6 days ago. Right on track, unfortunately.

19. TennTradition

I think we’ll see a fair amount more noise due to Thanksgiving. Lower cases for a few days but higher death counts as those not counted last week come in.

So deaths might rise now, drop a bit, and then rise again as this lag catches up and then inherent growth takes back over again.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Most deadly day today. Over 2800 right now, I guess we will cruise pass 3,000 at some point this month. Surely not 4,000?