POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Omar was also criticized heavily by Democrats and Pelosi, apologized in public, in Congress, and they passed an act condemning anti-Semitism, which Omar signed. Greene can't even get in front of people and apologize for advocating to execute Pelosi and others, a pretty low bar.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, Greene was talking about "Jewish space lasers" starting fires, but Omar is the one who is being called an anti-semite, when she has actually signed on to condemning anti-semitism? Indy logic.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

But he is a Democrat so it's okay.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Marjorie Taylor Greene, "I was allowed to believe things that weren't true"

WTF does that even mean. Of course you were allowed to be stupid and ignorant; the choice was yours and yours alone.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What committees was she booted from?

6. Unimane

Sorry, this is what I mean by false equivalency. Greene said, among other things, "a bullet to the head would be quicker" in regards to Pelosi.

Tell me, in any sort of universe, is what Schumer says remotely the same as this?

I mean, I would say Schumer is being vague and it would be warranted to ask him what he means by this statement, but we're not talking anything remotely close to the very high bar that's been established. So, I don't want to entertain the "What about...?" here. Plus, if it is beyond the bar, then there's a lot of Congressmen who would fall under this umbrella.

7. Unimane

You're missing the point. If Greene had done the same as Omar (and she is well, well beyond what Omar did, anyway), in terms of showing contrition and doing it in the public forum, she would still be on those committees. Instead, the Republicans dug their heels in and pretended what Omar did was, in some deluded world, the same thing.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's paraphrasing Hosea 8:7, which has been done in politics for well over a hundred years at least. “For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind." It means one will suffer consequences. I don't think I have ever, ever, EVER heard someone interpret it as some sort of physical threat. And it isn't one, it is more along the lines of a judeochristianic version of the (improperly understood from a Buddhist perspective) "karma" type statement.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/reap_the_whirlwind

It was used to describe the rise of Trump in 2016: https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/carroll/opinion/ph-cc-edelman-030816-20160307-column.html

And no doubt, Schumer was referencing Kavanaugh using the phrase in his confirmation hearing:

Was Kavanaugh threatening America? Of course not. You may have been gaslit by someone on this. This phrase is not a threat.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think I heard that Biden is cutting off military support for the Saudi war in Yemen. If so, that is a good thing.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

let's see how many people who praised Trump for "not getting us into any new wars" and "getting us out of the Middle East" now say Biden shouldn't do this.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There may be a reason not to do this. There was a reason not to abandon the Kurds, as Trump did.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Saudis are the aggressors, the Kurds were not. leaving the kurds escalated instability and conflict, leaving the Saudis (sorta) reduces their capabilities and deescalates the conflict.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Trump said in his speech that the people there supporting him should go down to the Capitol and protest peacefully, but you all told me it didn't matter what he actually said. Why would this be any different?

You don't have to be running around saying "death to all Jews" to be anti-Semitic. She's been tied to Hamas and Hezbollah and supports BDS, which essentially calls for the end of the only Jewish state in the world. She's an anti-Semite.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Jesus dude. I get that not all Jews think BDS is anti-Semitic. But ask all Jews what they're more concerned about, the lady talking about "Jewish space lasers" or the lady pushing for the end of the only Jewish state in the world, and see what you come back with. You're being ridiculous.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many times did Trump say, publicly, that he condemned White Supremacy? How many of you, to this day, still believe that he's a white supremacist, supports white supremacy, or at least doesn't have much of a problem with white supremacy?

Omar signs a document to condemn anti-Semitism, and everything she's said/done to suggest she's an anti-Semite washes away. IP logic.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay, so we are just pretending that the only demands of BDS are "be nicer to Palestinians." Got it.

This is a waste of time if you're unwilling to look forward to the implications of what BDS calls for.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

How could one "ask all Jews?" What does that even mean? Invariably of the people I know who are Jewish and with which this sort of conversation has taken place, they have told me Jewish space lasers and that kind of blind conspiratorial stuff is far more unnerving than anything to do with Israeli politics. I realize you will never accept such a position as being valid or accurate.

We can compare takes in the Jerusalem Post, in attempt to get the pulse:

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/jewi...-marjorie-taylors-antisemitism-is-real-657734

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/jewish-support-for-ilhan-omar-638063

But those don't support your position either, so I guess I just have to wait for Float to agree with me and then I can point to that since Float and I often don't agree otherwise. Right?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This crazy dude is going to lose everything he's built over this nonsense.

19. fl0at_

Why don't we just pretend that you can actually explain something, and then defend a position, rather than have people guess whatever the hell it is you are trying to say.

What, specifically, are these implications? How will they be achieved? Why do you think they will be achieved?

20. fl0at_

Trump often, after any public condemnation, said or did something that went against that condemnation.

Omar may, I don't know. She's a Michigan, House of Representatives, member of Congress, not the leader of the free world.

That puts her on par with Greene... not Trump, where the stakes were much, much higher.

And so far, she's still ahead of Greene, in the apology aspect.

Unimane likes this.