POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The point of IP's comment on the cyclical nature was to dispel the idea that there is any one policy by one side.

But regardless, they are still people, and need to be handled with respect and dignity. Because they are people.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

"This" crisis is about unacompanied children.

"From January to February 2019, there was a 31 percent surge in children stopped by CBP. From January to February 2021, there has been a 61 percent surge in those stops."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...t-surge-during-first-news-conference-n1262089

"A former Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official said the current number of children in Border Patrol custody is the highest in the agency's history."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/migrant-children-border-patrol-custody-past-legal-limit/

When has there ever been a larger number of unaccompanied children crossing the border?

And what are they saying when they cross - Uncle Joe will take care of us.

Thats what decades illegal immigrant friendly rhetoric gets you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Indy likes this.
  3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I agree 100%. These are precious innocent children who deserve far better than what they are getting.

zehr27 likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A few people on the left showing consistency doesn’t make it the norm for that side of the aisle (or the media). And I don’t see those people on the left who are criticizing doing so in the same manner as before. Feel free to point me to left leaning folks citing Nazi Germany this time around.

I think you (IP) citing all the different years this sort of thing has happened kind of proves my point. If it happens so frequently, why was it compared to Nazi Germany under Trump, and why was he compared to Hitler for something that you yourself are claiming happens every year or two? Because he also wasn’t super nice or compassionate about the people being locked in cages? Is that the difference? It’s okay to lock people in cages if you’re doing it in a compassionate way?

It’s just another example, in my mind, of people giving Trump shit for little to no reason. At least with Biden, as VolDad mentioned, you can cite (and the people coming here are citing) Biden and his immigrant friendly rhetoric and policy as a reason this is happening.

5. fl0at_

What is similar: people showing up.
    What is different: how the people are being handled.

Trump didn't look to spend tens of millions of dollars to change confinement.

The comparison was based on how they were treated when they got here. And early on, it looked like Biden was going to continue the tradition of caging.

But now it looks like he's going to attempt to change the caging.

I don't understand anything you are saying, because you don't seem to be addressing these two things: confinement (which is different) and migration (which is the same).

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

1) Overcrowded chain link exchanged for overcrowded plastic walls equals different?

[​IMG]

2) Record number of unaccompanied children equals "the same"?

7. fl0at_

We're 67 days in, dude. This isn't year 2. It's being addressed, as able, inside of 100 days in office, IN THE MIDDLE of the worst pandemic in a century.

If this persists in a year, let's hammer it. Let's note it now, and hammer it then.

I'm not sure how he's supposed to limit the children... that seems like it's out of his control on who shows up. So yea, that people are showing up is the same as always.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Seriously, you don't understand why people gave Trump shit about this? Forced separation was one of his top three most egregious acts as president. I know you are all about giving Trump passes, but this is a little hard to comprehend. People gave Trump shit because his policy was specifically and stated to be one which was designed to be inhumane in order to intimidate people into not coming here (which didn't really work). The splitting up of children purposely to deter migration to the border was the spark of the significant portion of opposition on this matter.

Conversely, the take this is the result of Biden's policy and "immigrant friendly rhetoric" (i.e. we're going to treat people humanely now) is extremely limited and misses the actual significant factors (not sure why you give no blame to Trump and complete blame to Biden for, as you present it, the same thing). As I noted above, the build up on the border is less a result of American policy than conditions in Central America and there wasn't a magical moment in January when people started coming, but, rather, this had been happening since last May. Surges are also normal in the spring.

What is different is the response. Biden has, justifiably, received some flak for his slower response to the crisis, though it has been mitigated by the fact he has just started his term, inherited an enormous mess from the previous administration on the matter and he appears amenable to some of the solutions pushed by those critics of Trump's policies. Locking kids in cages is absolutely unacceptable, by any administration. Biden promises to do something about it, where Trump made it policy. I'll give Biden the benefit of the doubt until it appears he's not doing anything about or giving lip service towards doing so.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Biden policy. If they can't see it then it is not happening....

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

do you think I am 7 years old and wasn't around for this same rhetoric in 2014?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

horrible, why didn't you post on this when it started up under trump? where was cruz? what is your solution?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

how many record numbers over the last 7 years could I link you where you would pause about thinking this is something to do with a biden policy 67 days in?

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Apparently you are at an age that cannot tell the difference between an unaccompanied child and an adult.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I do not remember videos of Trump Representatives blocking the filming. His folks seemed rather proud to show the World what they were doing as a deterent to those considering the trip..

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I did not say it it was about Biden policy in 67 days. I said it was about Democratic policy and rhetoric over decades.

Democrats and Uncle Joe take control and Mamas are sending their children in record numbers; many saying it is because of Uncle Joe being elected.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

when will you address issues and stop saying "what about when trump.." When you do this, it does make you look like you are 7. There were plenty of politicians and reporters allowed then, because the agenda called for it. Now, they don't want us to see and want people like you to keep deflecting to Trump.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The start of any solution starts with transparency, recognition and not; all is well, there is no crisis, you can't go there and see for yourself, and when you do we are going to block your video.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Your analysis has been dead on

19. fl0at_

So? You're saying if you were sitting on the street, hadn't eaten today, seeing people in bad conditions, and someone was like, "If we go to America, we might have a chance to stay there. And if we fail we'll just get sent back here, so, no loss on our part." And then you were like 'How do we get to this place, do we get in a space ship?" And they're like, "No, we can just walk."

You'd be like... "Nah. I'll just take my chances here."

The problem is not that people are coming here. The problem is that people don't want people coming here.

IP likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator