George Floyd: Derek Chauvin Trial

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 29, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy, regarding the "never" situations, I promise it makes a lot more sense than it may appear at first glance. It's a matter of imagining situations where something doesn't happen according to the plan, and thinking through how to "un[uck fay]" the situation as best as it can be. Think oil spills, chemical spills, fires, etc. But it apply it to smaller scale things. What if you locked yourself out of your house? What if you ran completely out of gas? It's the driving force behind the insurance industry.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

but only spun so far. It will save your ass a lot more than it will cause you problems if you are doing what you ought to do.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

13 year old shot and killed in Chicago a couple of weeks ago while raising his hands to surrender without a gun...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The military officer that said he was afraid to exit his car was also technically resisting. He wasn't in the wrong.

That was also a routine traffic stop, for an unexpired vehicle tag. Had that gone sideways, because he refused to get out of the car, no doubt someone would say, "Well, if he had just gotten out of the car..."

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

For something that is rare, it sure seems to be happening all the damn time.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is the strategy with the strobe light effect? Seems to be really disorienting for the user as well as the illuminated subject.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You just need to comply.
    Stop!
    Kid stops,
    Show me your hands!!
    shows hands with no gun,
    BOOM! (Bullet rips and shreds through 13 year old boys chest)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Unbelievable. I hope the dumbass asking if he's ok isn't the one that pulled the trigger

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Didn't the video show that he did have a gun and threw it shortly before putting his hands up? The video highlighted an object that looked like a gun after the officer walked away, and people were mentioning it in the comments.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't get your take-aways.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, VD mentioned "without a gun," which doesn't seem to jive with what the video showed. I'm asking if VD saw the part with what appeared to be a gun. Maybe he turned the video off prior?

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If you throw down a gun, you no longer have a gun.

And as VD said: "raising his hands to surrender without a gun..." and "shows hands with no gun"

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Sounds like what you would think is a smart thing to do. Would you present yourself with a gun in your hand or would you toss it.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm strongly in the [uck fay] the police camp, but I saw the same thing in this video. 1:35 definitely shows what could be a firearm on the ground and at the 2:25 point it appears the kid tosses/drops something in the same area as highlighted previously.

Sad situation all the way around, though I'm sure the extra raffle tickets at the department Christmas party that the officer earned here will make him feel a bit better.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

At the point the officer made the decision to blow a hole in his chest did he have a gun on his person?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I respect the police and appreciate how incredibly difficult and dangerous their job can be. The kid complied and was shot for it. That he at one point had a gun doesn't mean you shoot him when he complies. And I get that things happen fast and its dark etc. etc. And yet, this is how it went down.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those last few seconds of his monologue... Wowzers.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

"Good Shooting"

[​IMG]

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

"Good Shooting"

[​IMG]

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just not how I've ever seen a "shooting" of this nature described that way. Unless they equate people to targets, which is pretty wrong for law enforcement. If they want to be war fighters, see a recruiter.