POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Same here. So many people. I immediately ignore anyone who posts a meme, which is, usually a tell tale sign they aren't dealing with reason anymore. I don't care what it is or the politics behind them, even if it's, supposedly, quoting a person I like or support. Memes are the epitome of bad information. Every time I've bothered to check on the info presented, it's 95% wrong. They should be banned on social media sites.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Memes are pretty funny, sometimes. Maybe lighten up a little bit

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think culturally we need to start thinking more of the total population as the "individual", but legally and governmentally, the single person as the "individual". The reasons are that the total as the individual as governance can lead to some utilitarian nightmares, the greater good, etc.

Plato's Republic so to speak.

Volst53 likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am related to some that I look at and go " what happened to you?"

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I meant the political/social commentary ones. The funny ones are a different deal.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree with this.

I honestly view society through the family unit but think government has to see it as individuals.

strong families make strong communities and individuals

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not political but this meme is kinda funny

Attached Files:

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

[​IMG]

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He misspoke, the plan doesn't raise taxes for anybody making less than 400k. That's what he meant.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Underspoke, then. Then should have added an "extra" in there, "will not pay a single extra penny"

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We no longer have a country.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Is that because we're a corporation now?

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Damn. I was starting to warm up to Biden if that was true.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

how much do you think you should pay? like, what would be fair?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not Zehr, but I'm more concerned with how the tax money is spent than how much I actually pay. Taxes are high in Baltimore, but I'd be more okay with it if I felt the city actually put them to good use.

17. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

This. Whether it be federal, state, county or city.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay, describe what that might look like, as maybe a percentage of your total tax payment pie.

I also pay pretty high taxes here in northern VA. I'm pretty satisfied, but only vote for increases if they are marked for specific use that makes sense and it is reasonable to me. So don't think I am coming at this sideways. I think my list of what is reasonable is more expansive than some, but I get where other perspectives are coming from around here. But I have also lived in places that were economically stagnant, had extremely low taxes, and everybody still [itch bay]ed about taxes. There is some moving reinvestment sweet spot at a local level it seems, and perhaps similarly at a state and national scale. Texas is an interesting case because they have had so much success by keeping taxes low, but places like Kansas have tried to imitate them and fallen flat because they just don't have the geographic and resource advantages of Texas. There probably are some size/development thresholds that Texas is well past that keeps the ball rolling, which isn't the case for smaller states. California too, it keeps rolling no matter what because at a certain point momentum will carry you over stuff. Plus are both just nice places to live (geography), and Kansas is just not on that level.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

What gets my goat around here is the toll roads built using state property/corridors, subsidized by the state, and then owned by a private entity for 50 plus years. They did this in Colorado too. I'm very against it, and it will never be "over" for me on that. They do it to try and encourage public transportation, but it is merely a tax on the poor and a burden for small businesses and independent operators. Hate it. Would rather spend the money and effort on actual alternatives for more people/businesses, than increasing the cost for those who still have no alternatives.

SetVol13, justingroves and warhammer like this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Like others said I don't always agree on how the money is spent but to be fair its hard to please everyone so I don't think there is ever going to be a plan that spends our tax dollars in a way that everyone is happy. 10% taxes seems fair to me.