Neighborhood Mystery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 21, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Last Saturday, we had a deer in our yard for the first time. We have many foxes and such around, but this was the first time we had seen a deer. Cool. A young buck.

The next day, my wife woke up to find the front half of a fawn in the yard. In my flawed wisdom, I decided to let the carcass be until Monday morning, to give a chance for predators to come and claim it. This ended up traumatic for my wife, as just an hour later a doe came along and was licking and tugging at it, presumably trying to wake up her offspring. She came back a couple of times that day to do this, spending an hour each time trying. That evening, the foxes came and tried to pull it apart and take it. They apparently eventually succeeded.

So what happened? All I can figure is that it was hit by a car that broke its spine or possibly tore it in two, and the foxes did the rest in terms of bringing it to my back yard. But we are on a dead end street in a subdivision. Where is the back half? Could it have been a larger predator? Some other event?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Do you have coyotes?

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Aliens, most likely.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Satanists, imo

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That close to DC?

Hunter Biden came to visit dad and went on a bender.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Jesus.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

How many people in your neighborhood are vaccinated? I’d go ahead and start working on your apocalypse plan because the first ones should be turning around now

NorrisAlan and fl0at_ like this.
  8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Well he did say it was a fawn...

warhammer and CardinalVol like this.
  9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Did not do it.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A competing predator tried to pull the one half one way, toward their territory. And the foxes eventually won, by pulling the entire thing to their territory, after running off the other predator in your yard.

This is also a good time to mention that video cameras for outside are cheap as hell.

justingroves likes this.
  11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If there were any wounds to the throat, you can almost bet your ass it was a coyote.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sounds like you pissed off the mafia

CardinalVol likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

No wounds on the throat. And if coyotes move in, I don't think my foxes will stay. Those two seem to be mutually exclusive in territory.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I should say, there were no wounds of any kind except for being severed in half. Like the victim of an amateur magician.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've walked up on deer bedding down in DC in Rock Creek Park. There are a lot of woodland animals around DC.

CardinalVol and emainvol like this.
  16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The house we just bought has so much wildlife around. It’s a neighborhood, but plenty of woods in the immediate area. I have seen deer and groups of 20-30 wild turkeys regularly. Even saw what I think was a Sandhill Crane a few months ago just chilling around the creek back behind our house, although I’m not 100% because I didn’t think they really came to this area.

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

[​IMG]

warhammer likes this.
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Chupacabra

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Hit by car then brought in your yard by a dog who lost interest.

IP likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They get along where I'm at but I imagine I've got more green space