2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Russia was just more mentally fit I guess.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I think I heard her say that her mental health issues stem from her US Open Championship.

At what should have been one of the happiest moments of her life she was booed off of the Court because Serena Williams wanted to be a whiney little [itch bay].

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Okay.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could say that about physical fitness or physical conditioning. And they are the same, I am told.

8. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

What exactly do you think shyness is? It's a form of social anxiety resulting in discomfort around strangers. Anxiety can very well be considered a form of mental illness.

The last part about understanding/empathizing is really kind of maddening, too. You're a different person with a different experience to this other person, with whom you can't relate to at all, and you're bewildered why this different person reacted differently in a situation that's completely incomparable to a situation of your own. This is a more general "you," but you, Indy, also give off the tone of someone who agrees with it.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

For my part, I am unclear as to what changed in the last year or so. I remember when Marshawn Lynch got fined for not answering press questions, and the NFL was not raked over the coals for it. Actually the opposite, it was wildly felt that it was part of his job. But that wasn't mental health for reasons that have yet to be specified. If this is the way things are, it will get very interesting very fast in terms of public speaking and any kind of performance.

tvolsfan likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Should we quit criticizing good shooters that struggle at the free throw line? That's absolutely mental.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Seems to be a generation gap regarding some opinions on this deal. I dont believe it would've gone over well on my HS or college teams though I wasn't a college player for 4 years. I dont believe I or anybody would be welcomed back and the stress put on us socially and personally for quitting wouldve been more stressful than dealing with competing or worry about failure. Wouldn't have gone over well with my Korean War vet father. And honestly wouldn't go over very well with me and one of my kids.
    There will be kids growing up in recent years and now whose parents taught them when the going gets tough, just quit. And that's too bad.

12. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Yep, that's what it is. People were just built differently back then. Nevermind that there's nothing remotely statistical to support that claim, it's just that they were able to overcome it all because they were just constructed in a superior manner.

tvolsfan likes this.
  13. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I feel like a great starting point is the mere fact one identified their situation as a mental health issue and the other didn't.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't see why it isn't fair game to talk about, as much as a gruesome injury. Or, you know, an injury that gets played through... Perhaps like a perfect landing off the vault jump with a sprained ankle.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Self diagnosis... Is that something recommended for mental health?

16. Ssmiff

Built different than you, for sure. Not many angry message board intolerant trolls back then. I doubt you've accomplished much when compared to most, which is why you have this tired schtick.

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Can't wait to hear you whine like a [itch bay] about personal attacks in the near future.

18. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Self-diagnosis would be diagnosing one's self with a disorder or illness-- not stating they're having an episode. Admittedly, I'm not very up-to-date on the situation, so you'll have to correct me if that's not how it's occurred.

19. Ssmiff

Ok Fredo

20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Cry more, [itch bay] boi. You older generations were made with overactive lacrimal glands-- of that, I'm certain.