2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't know if it's a good comparison to bring up how the 2016 men's 1500m gold medalist trains during a discussion about Rapinoe. I'd venture to guess that a significantly larger percentage of people could make it through a day of her training than could make it through a day of his, just because of how different the two sports are.

I hated training for track in high school. 20 200's in under whatever time coach felt like that day? [uck fay] that noise.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not the training that would be the issue. While I am not a big fan, she obviously has elite technical skill for women's soccer, which is the sport she plays and has been a star in. She can put the ball in the net.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, no issue with that. Just didn't think Uni's comparison made a ton of sense. The majority of people in the US literally can't do that other guy's training regiment. Lots of people could probably do Rapinoe's. But that doesn't mean she's not uniquely talented and one of the best ever at what she does.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Just saying I'd like to see a 6'0 stronger and faster young lady go 1 v 1 against her. I dont believe Rapinoe would fare as well as you think.
    And Pulisic is fast as hell and young, so I don't see the comparison. I dont know what quora is. The note I posted was from a female who practiced with the squad. "Winning the ball" is an aspect she mentions Rapinoe doesn't do very well.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pulisic is 5'8 and not even the second fastest guy on his team, according to Pulisic. Just sharing, I did not know this until after reading your comment and looking it up. https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/01/chel...layers-best-finisher-premier-league-13835388/

6. Ssmiff

I'm talking about her game right now and the last couple of years. Imo there are some up and comers who would be more effective. Younger women are bigger, stronger and faster now and it would show if given the chance. No different than what you see in track, with younger athletes breaking world records while you dont see 36 year olds out there running very often. You don't see 36 year olds playing skill positions in football. You don't see many still playing at a high level in the nba. But rapinoe is untouchable?
    People disagreeing is fine. Saying there's no way a 20 yr old could compete vs or with Rapinoe at 36 is much more foolish than saying they could.

7. Ssmiff

Why are you comparing the men's and women's game again? No comparison. And I'd still put pulisics burst from 0-20 yards against a defender up there with anybody.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was just sharing, I didn't presume to think information would affect your opinion.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

“Right now and the last couple of years”, so 2019-21, she has won

The WC Golden Boot
    The WC Golden Ball
    The World Cup
    A bronze medal in the Olympics.

All of that. Right now and the last couple of year.

So with that said who should be playing in front of her? Gimme some names.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Opinion of what, Pulisic? I wouldn't really expect a player to brag that he's the fastest anyway, much less in a foot race without a ball involved, which doesn't have much to do with the burst I mentioned with a defender and ball involved.
    But you are comparing 2 different games and a young fast player to a 36 year old rapinoe. Not a good comparison at all

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Of anything.

Don't compare young fast players to a 36 year old Rapinoe. Who did you want to see her go 1 v 1 against again?

12. Ssmiff

Why are you comparing pulisic and rapinoe again? One is young and fast. The other isn't. Not sure what point you are trying to make, so make one.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was made.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Figured somebody so convinced and so dedicated to the argument that she shouldn’t be playing could at least come up with the name of somebody or somebodies who should be on the field in front of her, in 20-25 minutes.

Guess not.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

He said those ladies from Antioch.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I mean, she's playing at the top level afforded at the sport. Are you thinking she hasn't played against those faster and stronger than her? She's never really been super athletic. Her trade was skill and savvy, which she still has, even though she should be about ready to call it a career soon.

I guaran-damn-tee those teenage girls wouldn't fare very well. This may be an opinion, but all opinions aren't made the same. Those girls may be very good athletes, but they aren't elite players on the world stage. Going up against one would be very instructive. "Stronger and faster" doesn't mean as much in soccer as you might think.

The Pulisic reference was about your comment of "winning fights with the ball". He's not great at this, but that's not really his job as a winger.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You said that Rapinoe doesn't win many fights for the ball. Uni responded by stating that neither does Pulisic.

He's not comparing the players. He's stating that one does not have to "win many fights for the ball" in order to be a great soccer player. You seem to be convinced that soccer is more about physical size, strength, and speed, and less about technical skill. I don't agree with that at all.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Did he say why Rapinoe was playing in Tokyo and they are not?

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

See above. No one is comparing Pulisic to Rapinoe. Uni just brought up Pulisic to respond to your claims about Rapinoe not winning very many fights for the ball.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I mean, the greatest player ever is a 5-7 dude who probably wouldn't have ever beaten half his teammates in a footrace even at his physical peak. Maradona was 5-5.

NorrisAlan and The Dooz like this.