COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is what Denmark has, where COVID restrictions are now lifted because they no longer see uncontrollable transmission.

JayVols likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Did Denmark mandate the vaccine in a similar way?

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Their populace may not be as retarded as ours.

JayVols, HCKevinSteele and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

JayVols likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unfortunately, people are dumb all over this disk on a stack of turtles.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Hence the "as". I'm sure we're less dumb in other ways.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

How is that different from how you got into college and kindergarten? Or being in the military? Or working for many companies which involve international travel?

Maybe people just never thought about it, but you have long been required to have certain vaccinations. This is just another one.

JayVols likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

JayVols likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You didn't really answer my question, but okay.

What are the vaccinations required to get into college and kindergarten? How long did it take to make them, and how long have they been around? Fair to say that they were significantly more established than what we have now with COVID vaccines? Also, how do the diseases they protect against affect people? Are they similar to COVID, in that they largely affect particular populations and largely don't affect others?

I'm not sure the comparison of private employers to the military makes a ton of sense.

We aren't debating whether private companies should be able to mandate the vaccine. We are talking about the federal government forcing private companies who don't want to mandate the vaccine to do so.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I wonder about folks with COVID infection history. If studies indicate these folks have same/better protection as vaccinated folks should it be either/or? I know they are different viruses but might it be like chickenpox - vaccination or credible disease history? Do we have enough data yet?

Indy likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know, but on the face of it I could see that as an option: demonstrate antibodies.

gcbvol likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Side note - why are some vaccines mandated for kids schooling and not others? Why, for example, wouldn't Gardasil be a required vaccination for high school or college age students? Heck, you could even make a case for middle school.

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I want as many people vaccinated and/or 'antibodied' as possible. If it's a viable option it might ease worries and mitigate pearl-clutching. Anything to help us increase protection and manage collective rage.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

In my opinion, forbidding people from visiting places is more restrictive than requiring them in larger businesses. It's like, my opinion I guess. I see that this could be debatable, so if you don't see it that way okay.

That link covers it, you probably didn't see that post yet. The time of development is not particularly relevant, as it is the data supporting them that matters. We can do a lot of things a lot faster than we used to be able to due to technology. It is not fair to say they were "significantly more established" at the time they became required. That's really not true at all. Do you believe the FDA certification process was robust when George Washington required people to be vaccinated during the Revolutionary War, or back in 1905 when the Supreme Court ruled that vaccinations could be mandatory? That's rhetorical, as the FDA didn't exist until 1906.

You'll need to support the premise that COVID only "largely" affects "particular Populations" and "largely" doesn't "affect others." I think that is a misleading and nebulous characterization, and you may be very surprised to learn that Polio, for example, did not affect most people, or at least no lasting effects, at all while crippling others for life.

The federal government also forces them to pay employees a minimum wage, overtime, have adequate fire prevention and alert systems, pay into social security for their employees, and not use lead paint. Requiring vaccination is not new.

JayVols likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because of politics. Based purely on medical outcomes and public health, it would be.

JayVols likes this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think you and I can agree, without me having to provide any support, that people above a certain age or who have certain pre-existing conditions are at significantly higher risk of contracting serious disease/hospitalization/death from COVID than people who are younger and healthier. That's not to say that young, healthy people are incapable of getting it/being hospitalized/dying from it, but statistically speaking, it's much less likely.

Were the people crippled for life by Polio mostly over the age of 65? Or all of a particular race? Or primarily obese? In other words, was there any way to determine which group of people were at significantly lower risk of severely negative effects, should they to come down with Polio? If so, it would seem totally appropriate to allow but not require those people to get vaccinated. But I don't think it was ever that clear who would or wouldn't be severely negatively impacted by Polio.

Has the federal government ever mandated that private businesses require their employees to get a specific vaccine? If not, I'd say that mandating private businesses to require their employees to get a specific vaccine is new.

Edit: I forgot to mention that forbidding people from visiting places doesn't negatively impact people's livelihoods. People have to work to make money to support their families. Forcing vaccination as a prerequisite to being able to support your family seems significantly more restrictive to me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, how on earth are they planning to enforce the mandate? Seems like a substantial undertaking to make sure every business in the country with over 100 employees is pushing vaccines.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I kind of feel for employee 100 and 101

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

75% of people who contract polio have no symptoms, only a small percentage have the paralysis/muscle soreness and that can develop even decades after the infection. Similar to COVID, it could happen to anyone. You dismiss COVID as just being an illness affecting the obese an old I guess, but that just isn't the case. That is who is MOST affected, but there are nonfatal outcomes as well and it can and has killed people of all ages. There is longhaul cases as well that are still not fully understood.

The government has mandated vaccines for everyone, period, before. Like, anyone not complying gets fined. That's even more strict than this.

This does not force people to get vaccinated to support their families. They can change jobs to a smaller employer, or work for themselves. Pull themselves by their boot straps, like conservatives have been telling people. Or is it not how things work now?

JayVols likes this.