"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I mean, I can't stand the guy. But it's hard to discredit being able to sell your company for $100m+ to a juggernaut like Fox. And usually in those kinds of deals with the major players, the "little" guy gets his money but is completely handcuffed in everything else, but part of the agreement was apparently that Clay had to keep doing what he is currently doing for at least 5 more years with the company.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

this doesn't make him influential, it makes him wealthy. it was a way to parody what espn has with feinbaum and sec network. it made sense for all parties. but he still isn't Paul Finebaum and I am unsure that he really appeals to a majority southern football fans.

Maybe he does. I'd rather listen to local guys or finebaum. I have no interest in travis. Basilio vexes me but I still have found myself listening to him after midnight. I can't listen to Travis because he is like if Ben Shapiro went to Farragut High School and then Ole Miss.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Exactly. He did what he thought necessary to make bank, and no doubt he’s a very rich man. But in the process he absolutely shredded any legitimacy or credibility he once had.

And I would somewhat toss aside the sports stuff, the hot take machine is lucrative so I get it. But his nonsense during Covid is legitimately irredeemable. There’s things you can chalk up to trying to make money and there’s things you can’t. Plenty of similar figures spouting trash are dumb and fully believe what they’re saying, which doesn’t make it ok, but doing what Travis has done is legitimately evil.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

What exactly do you think Fox is paying $100m for if not for his influence/fan base? That’s all he has to offer.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

6. HCKevinSteele

7. CardinalVol

I had honestly forgotten how crazy that search was and that I laughed when Nutt turned them down.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think Nebraska can be a winner. They just can't be "pro" offense and do it, and think they need to be an option based offense

9. CardinalVol

10. CardinalVol

If Fisher just takes that job.

11. HCKevinSteele

Jmo but I think Lane had to crash somewhere. It was going to get out of control for him in Knoxville.

12. CardinalVol

He may well have crashed, but we could have (theoretically) controlled the clean up.

Lane leaving wasn't the issue. Finding a coach within 72 hours in mid January willing to take the job was the issue.

Tar Volon likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not realizing Kippy Brown was under contract and willing and capable to fill in was an even bigger issue

14. CardinalVol

Yeah, I included that in my post mentally.

You put out feelers to a few home runs. If (when) they say no, make Kippy the interim.

warhammer and Memtownvol like this.
  15. HCKevinSteele

Even if it had gone that way, it’s not as though those responsible for hiring Dooley, Butch and Pruitt just no longer exist.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  16. CardinalVol

True, but I think a non-rushed hire whether Kippy gets the full time tag or not changes stuff.

17. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Luke Fickell at Ohio St was a good example of that.!

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ohio State would be in a better place had they not hired Urban and stuck with Fickell

SetVol13 likes this.
  19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Cutcliffe was there for the taking and he would’ve come back had Hamilton not tried to restrict who he could bring over from Duke. Considering who was running things on The Hill at the time, that was probably as good as we would’ve done, even if we tried the interim year.

20. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

True but no one would’ve believed that at the time. That interim year was pretty rough. The Fickell team is the reason OSU doesn’t have a 17 year streak over Michigan right now.