COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They'll still be leading the world with no reported cases.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd say by January we're going to have millions of cases per day

Crazy that Omicron is 8 times more infectious than Delta.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, and who knows what they will do in the meantime to try and contain it.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Earlier in the year, people reached out to me about scheduling my first and second dose of the vaccine.

Not only is no one reaching out to me about getting a booster, but I’m having a hard time, just in general, with finding a place that can get me scheduled before Christmas.

Seems odd.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We've never gotten to a million, globally. I don't see it, not unless everyone previously infected gets re-infected.

6. fl0at_

Booster is treated as personal protection, so you have to make the effort, personally. It took me about 15 minutes, and I had to wait a day. So not hard, but does require effort. I could have either made an appointment with Walgreens or Kroger, or, waited until Tuesday or Thursday for the drive through shot. I waited until Tuesday, and just went and got in line.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Got an appointment with CVS in Maryville to get it Saturday.

JayVols likes this.
  8. fl0at_

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was able to schedule it with 2 days notice at a Giant's grocery store in Northern Virginia. Grocery store chain pharmacies are a good place to look. There was no line.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not saying they'll be a million confirmed cases, but the UK is already saying they're seeing 200,000 a day from their surveillance.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a93e2e3-d414-4e3e-9bc7-16b3f9a2da8c

So I think it's safe to say we'll be hitting a million a day here once it does it's run through the population.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My office holds vaccination clinics periodically so I had to walk 300 ft to get my booster.

JayVols likes this.
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Pretty big news out of the UK on myocarditis for those under 40.

Basically if you're under 40 get pfizer over moderna

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

What sucks is there are many who specifically sought out moderna over pfizer because they believed it was safer at the time.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If what I’m reading is right, there’s about a 0.0016% chance of developing myocarditis after Moderna, compared to a 0.0002% chance after AstraZeneca and a .0001% chance after Pfizer

Also a .004% chance after having COVID

I’d say the British study, if it proves anything, is that myocarditis related to COVID and the vaccine is extremely rare no matter what

But y’all correct me if I am misreading all this

JayVols likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, it is still much rarer and less serious than myocarditis from COVID. But if one is concerned, Pfizer is better.

Do they have a control on this? I.e. no vaccine or COVID?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My doctor's office said Walgreens. There wasn't a Walgreens within 30 minutes of us that could do it before the 27th. I tried calling the line for the Hospital where we got our first and second doses. The main hospital operator said "Oh yeah, we are definitely giving out boosters" and connected me to the COVID line, but no one answers it.

I'll give Float's link a look when I get a chance.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Got excited when I saw the Rite Aid a block north of my house has booster appointments available. Realized right before scheduling that the calendar I was looking at was for January.

Okay, I've really gotta get back to work now. I guess I'll head back to the drawing board later this afternoon.

19. fl0at_

Did you not notice the sites that listed as no appointment necessary?

Are you not willing to show up just because you think it's a gamble whether you'll be able to get stuck or not?

20. fl0at_

If it isn't confirmed through a test, it isn't a case.