COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Omicron news from Denmark is less good.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems to be what we would expect. It’s more contagious than delta for it to over take it as the dominant strain so naturally it will dramatically drive case numbers up.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well hospitalization rates there, unlike in South Africa, do appear to be higher than Delta. But it is very early and there just isn't the level of data needed to draw a conclusion yet.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Denmark's highest "outcome" (hospitalization/death) numbers were almost a year ago. Was that Delta then, or was that B variant?

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think delta came in the spring from India

6. fl0at_

Then Denmark is showing much higher negative outcomes then when Delta went through. But, they were all freshly vaccinated, so that could have contributed as well.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We will have to flesh out the data a bit too.

You'd expect hospitalizations to be going up now in the northern hemisphere as it is our respiratory season. We'll have to look at previous years rates to see if they're within the norm.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You think people who test positive should be able to play if they are asymptomatic?

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont know what to think. I'm sure players who committed to getting vaxed didn't think they'd have to sit out with no symptoms or false positives. Imo they are also more likely to go to the hospital from playing in the game then they are from covid issues.

10. fl0at_

I wouldn't expect two simultaneous infections. So if those are hospitalized with COVID it isn't likely they also have the flu. But if COVID is displacing the flu, because it is simply out competing, but only doing so to "normal" levels, that would be... odd.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I strongly doubt anyone is sitting out with a false positive. Teams want their players to play.

If you have Covid, you can spread it, regardless of whether you have symptoms or not. I don't mind positive asymptomatic players being forced to sit out. It's not like they don't get paid.

emainvol likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Daddy Gee likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think a player last night had to sit out due to false positive but the parameters in place did not allow him to play.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We're seeing quite a few testing for both since Thanksgiving.

Seems like most are sick with the flu but also testing positive for covid too.

16. fl0at_

Co-infection still shouldn't be the most common presentation, even with presentation of both in some.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They should implement parameters that allow players with proven false positives to play. Not sure what that should look like, but it doesn't seem like an insurmountable obstacle.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My mom, who did EKGs on sick kids for Vandy Children's hospital, said her biggest worry about both COVID and the vaccine were future heart issues from it from the time it all started. She said one of the biggest reasons kids have heart issues is different viruses that didn't get diagnosed correctly.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no doubt that virus can cause heart issues, I am wondering about the microlipid-encased spike protein RNA that is the vaccine. We do see increased heart issues with COVID patients. We see a slight elevation in temporary, minor myocarditis in specific demographics with the vaccine. But not major issues to a significant degree.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

sinovac appears to be ineffective against omicron. This would be a significant problem, because when omicron gets there it will move through China like they are unvaccinated.