Jerry Sandusky and the PSU scandal

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WM, Nov 5, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, but the state of Pennsylvania should have already put the hammer down. The f*cking doors should be locked and the school closed down imo iyam jmo.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think it outside of the purview of the NCAA. Tell me the underlying NCAA rules that were violated. Anybody?

3. kidbourbon

Also, say what you want about ole Slappy Sandusky.....

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If it got out that they were covering for a Pedophile Coach then opposing recruiters could have used that as part of their recruiting efforts against them. They hid the facts thus giving them a recruiting advantage.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It technically is.

I do think it's bullshit you can suspend a player for selling his stuff on ebay but you can't punish a school for covering up child rape.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sandusky is just going to open the door to Penn State. It's the rest of the stuff that's going to get them bad.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed.

8. kidbourbon

The school will receive punishment. Whether it's from the NCAA or not. The civil suits are coming.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Statute of limitations is going to help PSU a lot here.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Yet the university faces a big question of whether the football program Paterno built into a national power will have to defend itself against NCAA sanctions. The NCAA released a statement saying its actions would largely be dictated by Penn State’s response to questions it posed regarding institutional controls....

Michael Buckner, a Florida-based lawyer who has dealt extensively with the NCAA, said Penn State did not violate existing NCAA rules.

But he said NCAA President Mark Emmert could set a precedent by punishing Penn State for misconduct in a criminal matter.

Students remain loyal to Paterno | TribLIVE

11. CardinalVol

Correct me if I am wrong, but with LOIC, the NCAA can do away with the statute of limitations and go back as far as they want can they not?

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maybe, I think it goes from 5 to 7 or 10 years

13. CardinalVol

Even if it goes to 7 or 10......that could be a lot of stuff.

And really, PSU is in the worst PR battle you could imagine. I wouldn't think they'd fight sanctions too much.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the football program was covering up a crime for the defensive coordinator. i can't see how that is out of bounds for the ncaa. if they were covering up for a star player i doubt the ncaa would look the other way so why is a major coach different?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not a crime. Crimes. Ongoing crimes.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So apparently the board voted against reform? This can't make things any better.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

In a way, the NCAA has to do something to PSU, just to save face for college football and their authority over it.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They will uncover other wrongdoings over which the NCAA has authority and officially punish them for that. The degree of the punishment, which will be severe, will actually be determined by their anger over Sanduskygate.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Has the NCAA every really cared about following their own rules or actually caring to be consistent? If they want to hammer them, they'll hammer them. And...I think they may just want to. I just want to see their President behind bars or bankrupt. That guy just reeks of jackass.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like if I helped conceal pedophilia, I'd be charged with being an accessory to the crime. Why aren't they?