Jerry Sandusky and the PSU scandal

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WM, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. They'll find some violation for which Notre Dame would receive a polite letter and burn PSU for it. Not exactly the way I'd like it to happen, but I guess we take what we can get.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think that would be wrong and weak. I don't think they should get the death penalty, but they should be punished severely and for the real crimes.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Nonaction is never a crime.

Two exceptions:
    --you are the parent
    --you created the harm in question (i.e. you aren't required to give a dying person a ride to the hospital...unless the reason they are dying is because you shot them).

4. kidbourbon

Read more: The Bad Samaritan - TIME

Read more: The Bad Samaritan - TIME

5. kidbourbon

He wasn't the defensive coordinator. He was the former defensive cocordinator.

It is out of bounds for the NCAA because Penn State didn't violate any NCAA rules save some unenforceable catch-all ethics provisions. Simple as that.

6. kidbourbon

Because you can't have a legal fiction as a criminal defendant.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Concealing a crime is action though.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am no lawyer, but I do know that to conceal is an action.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So is the Good Samaritan law from the last episode of Seinfeld entirely fictional?

11. kidbourbon

Is this from wikipedia? Show me some law.

12. kidbourbon

In Virginia, the courts are quite clear that accessory after the fact requires commission and not mere ommission. I'm not going to research PA law on this particular point, but somebody else is welcome to do that.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the higher ups made phone calls to discourage previous investigations knowing full well he did commit acts, it is not simply omission.

Btw, the law sucks. Vigilantism is sounding better and better the more law I learn.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

TN:

A person is guilty of the crime of accessory after the fact if he, with knowledge or reasonable ground to believe a person has committed a felony, and with the intent to hinder arrest or other criminal proceedings, hides the offender, aids the offender in avoiding criminal proceedings, or warns the offender of impending apprehension or discovery. TCA 39-11-411.

The Penn State douches would clearly be culpable under this statute.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Penn State president orders Paterno statue removal

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - Penn State University will remove the famed statue of Joe Paterno outside its football stadium, eliminating a key piece of the iconography surrounding the once-sainted football coach accused of burying child *** abuse allegations against a retired assistant.

The university said Sunday that it will take down the larger-than-life monument in the face of an investigative report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh that found the late coach, along with three top Penn State administrators, concealed the abuse claims against Jerry Sandusky more than a decade ago in order to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity.

A spokeswoman for the Paterno family did not immediately return phone and email messages Sunday morning.

Construction vehicles and police arrived shortly after dawn Sunday, barricading the street and sidewalks near the statue, erecting a chain-link fence then concealing the statue with a blue tarp.

My Way News - Penn State president orders Paterno statue removal

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

@CBSNewsNCAA source tells CBS News athletic assn. will announce "unprecedented" penalties against Penn State, football team http://t.co/OG48YyGp

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Interested to see what these are. My guess is this is a mutual deal between school and ncaa to gey this part over with.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Think they said the school didn't agree to anything and this was the NCAA's decision.

19. CardinalVol

If that is true then i have a major problem with doing this.

20. CardinalVol

Let me stress, I am all for psu getting hammered based on what it seems, but I don't want the NCAA to use this as a chance to rewrite their power to penalize schools without going through the process.