COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

And highly likely that they'd get sick at least once, partially negating whatever use they would have been to have around, and potentially serving as a vector which is worse..

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not "laying it at the feet of vaccine mandates." I'm wondering why it isn't listed as one of a number of contributors.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are assuming it is a contributor.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Should "car trouble" be listed as a contributor? I'm sure some people have had some car trouble, so they had to call in. Or they missed the bus. Is that a contributor?

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Peak Omicron in Boston?

upload_2022-1-11_15-4-5.png

6. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

As a numbers game, this is the week I thought it might peak back in December. Simply because the amount of receptive bodies in circulation would be running low again.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My wife does scheduling for emergency rooms for 17 hospitals in VA and South Carolina. I realize this is a small number, but her company is large and oversees staffing at hundreds if not thousands of hospitals.

First of all, yes, they run lean. There’s not doctors on call or just sitting around wait for shit to pop off. They schedule based on how busy the ER gets at any point in time. So on Tuesdays, the par level might be low, but on Friday night, they schedule more doctors because the ER is busier.

Second, she has not had a single doctor (and NPs and ANPs) refuse the vaccine nor has she had a single doctors refuse to share their vaccine status with her and the company.

The shortage absolutely comes from employees testing positive and therefore unable to complete the scheduled shift regardless of how they are feeling at the time. You pop hot, you sit out the waiting period.

I realize this sounds anecdotal, and no she does not share her exact data with me and no I don’t want to see it because it’s proprietary. I do listen to her bi-weekly team calls when I am working at home too. And I hear her taking to her medical directors on the phone, trying to juggle and fill shifts. It’s almost always (maybe 99%) “hey so and so is sick, so we need to fill these shifts but they are vaccinated with little to no symptoms so they can come back by X date”.

She’s also worked her [uck fay]ing ass off the last 1.5 months, leaving concerts, moves, family at the drop of a hat to help fill shifts. I realize she’s not on the front line, but she supports the front line directly. They are all exhausted. Get vaccinated. Get boosted.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got the software upgrade this morning. MA giving it was the GOAT shot giver. Didn't feel a thing.

10. CardinalVol

Do they test everyone daily or when circumstances merit it?

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

ORs here are short staffed due to people just no longer working. No idea where they went or how they pay the bills but was just at a women's cancer center that runs 2 rooms at a time instead of 5 and has been for awhile

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The deficit in expected vs actual workers projecting from 2017 is about equal with the cumulative fall-off in legal immigration from 2017-2021. I suspect part of our labor shortage is that, timed with shrinking new worker population and the retirement of boomers. We have played ourselves.

EDIT: maybe. I can't know for sure that those things are directly related, to be sure.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Honestly, I have no idea. My guess would be the latter.

14. CardinalVol

That's what I would assume too, but was more curious than anything.

The Dooz likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The weekly death trend is up 33%, we are entering the window where we would expect to see the worst outcomes of the rise in cases begin to manifest. Seems it is indeed less deadly, with a 33% death increase on like a 300% case increase a few weeks ago.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Several of them got laid out for a shift by the booster too. That sucked for them and her both. They were doing exactly what they were supposed to do, but couldn’t work because of the side effects, so she had to scramble last minute to fill the shift.

One thing, as an aside, I’ve also learned is that staffing doctors is EXACTLY like staffing a restaurant.

17. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I'm now on day 5 and still feel really bad. Constant cough lots of congestion and headache. Body aches and chills are gone. Fever does spike every now and then. Just sooooooo tired. Doctor doesn't want me in bed though and wants me upright and drinking a gallon of water a day and moving around every hour or so to keep this from settling into my chest. Lost sense of smell and taste yesterday. Oxygen sat was in the low 90s for a couple of days. It's hovering around 94-96 the past 2 days. Feel just kind of "out of it" though and a little more confused than normal. Just taking it a day at a time. The 3 kids are all finally turning the corner. The first one that developed symptoms - one of the 8 year old twins - is still sleeping 14-16 hours a day and doesn't have much of an appetite but isn't complaining otherwise except being really tired. The wife is just zapped also and has no energy.

justingroves likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Keep up the fight, my friend.

justingroves likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

Do what doc says but don't overdo it. I learned that one the hard way.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I kind of jokingly said on a work call Monday that I was stunned I haven’t gotten it. I’m now going to get a test and pretty certain I have it.