2022 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Colleges are all running similar stuff which changes based on players skills. Then they send a ball pick, roll, pop, drive and dish or get the ball to a mismatch and clear out. Needed more than an x and os guru running the same stuff, you have to have more than 1 slasher, jjj needs to be able to take his man at any time at his size and skill, vescovi has to handle the ball a lot better, etc. Offensive coaches all look good when 2 or 3 can break down their man off the dribble. It's on the staff to get the players and develop them to do what's needed. Everybody becomes easier to guard if only 1 on the court can do it. Imo offensively we had a really good season when you consider the limitations of slashers and post play. We had to get creative and sent picks on and off ball all game.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Just wish we had 1 really competent post player.

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

At least you have the interwebz and tweeters to pontificate in the comfort of your home, the "why". Sitting on crates at the Co-op and arguing with other old men is draining.

Thank you, 8th. This is so much easier

Over 60 years and I'm still waiting for the magic combo of coach/players to get us to Final 4. And the "debates" have not changed.

Life is good. If you don't think it is, you are doing it wrong.

justingroves likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

We need a thick white dude with a headband and beard

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Timme is a beast in the college game

zehr27 likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

And as I watch Duke, 4 different players squared their man up and penetrated or backed down in the last few possessions for easy shots at the rim. No fancy offense. Just a pick then find a matchup and attack. Izzo can't stop them. Needs to go zone.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yay! Another week of Coach K.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Agree. Will only add that our tourney futility directly results from Barnes’ unwillingness to recognize or remedy his own glaringly persistent offensive shortcomings (such as with a more offensive-minded staff) and to sign / transfer the caliber of quality post player that consistently winning at a high level requires.

As our tournament struggles derive from these causes - not exclusively, but predominantly - they are specifically, exactly and exclusively Rick Barnes’ fault.

If he doesn’t replace the guy going to ECU with a dynamic and well-proven offensive-minded assistant, he’s officially playing out the string.

Totally agree. The lack of a post player and more slashers is Rick Barnes’ fault, alone.

Just one. Rick Barnes has known for years what we had, and didn’t do anything about it. The transfer portal works both ways, right? Maybe being Mr. Nice Guy doesn’t want to be seen as “raiding” another program.

Agreed.

Or just any thick dude who can actually play.

zehr27 likes this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I missed this Tenny.

10. Ssmiff

I never thought one could not watch games, listen to Kesling and gain such knowledge. Impressive.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Hey, when you’ve got a radio guy with that quality, it can work wonders.

12. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

He tried to get Tshiebwe. He tried to get Kessler. They went elsewhere.

13. Ssmiff

Wiscy 1-18 from 3 and sitting at 45 pts with 50 seconds left. Isu 3-14 from 3 and missed shots on 7 straight possessions. Meanwhile we have a 7'1 lefty non threat from 3 draining them on us.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Or, in other words, shit happens.

LawVol16 likes this.
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm just impressed you're able to see or hear the game at all with your head so far up Barnes' asshole.

KyleAlexanderfan likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

I realize it's tough for some of you to actually discuss aspects of the game played on the floor, so keep doing you, kaf lite

17. Ssmiff

At least 7 teams have punched their sweet 16 ticket by holding teams under 60 this weekend.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

He’s a threat if you leave him open.

Also, Wisconsin sucks ass and should’ve been eliminated by Colgate.

19. KyleAlexanderfan

You certainly can’t.

20. KyleAlexanderfan

And our vaunted defense gave up 76. But let’s blame players missing shots.