2022 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 17, 2022.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

College basketball in general has an offensive crisis. And it’s so strange when there’s more scoring in the NBA than there’s ever been. The majority of NBA teams average over 110 points a game now.

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I like it where it's harder to score. The NBA is boring.

justingroves likes this.
  3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree. There is actually too much offense in the NBA now. You watch so many high level offensive plays and nothing seems thrilling. That’s the appeal of the college game. I don’t know if there is a fix. I’m sure many would argue that nothing needs fixing. But that’s my critique as well. There were a couple of eras where the NBA was better: late 80s and early 90s and then again starting around 2010 when things were transitioning to the current style of play .

Despite lower scoring, circa 2000 was also problematic with all of the 1 on 1 post up stuff that they ran constantly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk why so many people think mOaR oFfEnSe is what every single sport needs

justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The NCAA Tournament: where anything can happen and then the same teams as always make the Final Four—no matter how bad they looked in the regular season.

Indy likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which makes the seeding irregularities more glaring to me. It is about match ups and some teams seem to always get the more favorable paths

7. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Kansas got a cakewalk this year, but I really don’t think we can say much about UNC and Duke. UNC theoretically had to go through three top ten KenPom teams (though St. Peter’s took care of one of them). Duke shouldn’t have gotten a two seed but ended up in a region with the #1 overall (who Arkansas took care of for them), the best defense in the country, and a feisty seven seed that could’ve easily beaten them.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That Kansas region was straight trash

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just soccer

dknash likes this.
  11. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

You see nothing wrong with an Elite Eight game that doesn’t get out of the 40s?

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I see nothing wrong with a mean of 68 and normal distribution

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Not if it's legitimate defense causing it instead of just straight up trash shooting. Just like there is a huge difference between a defensive slugfest and two garbage offenses facing off in football.

And that's not a direct comparison to the Nova game. Just my general feelings on offense/defense for any sport. I hate rule changes that aim to artificially inflate one side or the other just for the sake of it.

justingroves likes this.
  14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Some of you guys would have hated the pre-85, 4 corner, slow down offense. That was brutal, at times.

It was frustrating as hell when used against us and the other team could hit FTs. It was permissable when it worked for us.

Having experienced both extensively, from this spectator's perspective, it is more enjoyable with the shot clock.

15. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

North Carolina was notorious for that 4 corner stall.

Poppa T likes this.
  16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Houston went 1-20 from 3. I don’t think “Villanova played great defense” is ever a complete explanation for a team shooting 5% from outside, even if Villanova did play great defense. There’s a lot of really bad shooting in college ball right now.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I mean it’s not great but basically what InVol said. Sometimes a game is just a shit show. It is what it is

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kellogg said 14 3’s were open. There is something to be said with rushing your shot against good d but fact is these players are D1 shooters because they make open and contested shots

19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The charge/block call is killing college basketball. They need to go back to the rule that the defender has to be set.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So why could ks player be first to touch the ball there after being out of bounds. Just saw that called against st peters