POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Trump is going to try to do what he did to the Capitol, on the GOP.

tvolsfan likes this.
  2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Under normal circumstances, I'd be of the opinion that the GOP could run a three-legged dog against Biden and win in 2024 so long as that dog isn't named Trump. Their problem is going to be they should have Atticus Finched that rabid mut years ago now.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I like how an athiest knows so much about the Bible. Love you IP.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Wasserman calling it for Kelly.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Boebert is going to win. I just don't see how people vote for her. She has to lose next cycle, I don't want any tax dollars going to her for a pension.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Nevada race has tightened up as well. Probably ends blue based on what's left to count. Imo

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Trump now taking a shot at Youngkin in VA. I happen to know this one is BS. Youngkin's surprising victory was predicated on not appearing too close to Trump.

Trump wants a crown. Doesn't like seeing any other leaders.

tvolsfan likes this.
  8. Equine Ducklings

Equine Ducklings New Member

We must subvert the sadistic American cultural meme of minimizing and invalidating the experiences and hardships of others on the basis of one’s own difficulties.

“Why should my hard-earned money help the ungrateful youth who majored in gender studies?”

“You’re tired from your warehouse job? I had to work in the mines!”

“I made do with minimum wage working fast food and going to school in the 70s, why should anyone working those jobs expect twenty dollars an hour?”

There is no future other than hell on earth if we don’t unite against the one percent, specifically the top one-tenth of the one percent. Nothing is given, it must be taken.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Sure let’s better help people. But bailing out irresponsible crooked banks again sounds like a better idea than allocating tax dollars from people like truckers and electricians towards those dumb enough to voluntarily go into crippling debt for a worthless degree like gender studies. A degree where the only possible career route is teaching freaking gender studies at another university somewhere as they continue to add onto the bloat of higher education helping further perpetuate the endless, exponentially upward spiral that is the runaway cost of attending college. At least the crooked irresponsible banks bestow thousands of decent jobs onto society

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There must be tens of thousands of gender studies degrees out there the number of times I hear that trope used. The concept of "worthless degrees" is completely overstated, as well. Simply having a college degree opens some doors for people.

tvolsfan likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It has replaced the "Underwater Basket Weaving" class that was always quoted when I was in school in 1989.

warhammer, IP and justingroves like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

A giveaway as to why politics are so broken is on how each party is talking about this midterm. The GOP has picked up seats and likely the house. But that is a failure because they don't get to dominate congress. The left likely held the senate and wildly exceeded expectations under all the circumstances. Yet the conversation is shifting to which states/people failed such there wasn't even more success beyond expectations and they could just dominate congress.

There is little interest in doing the work of finding livable compromises. Or even entertaining compromises. It's only about dominating.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Simply having a college degree has destroyed and derailed the lives of plenty of people too when they saddle themselves up with ungodly debt in exchange for a degree with little to no value like gender studies or sociology. A gender studies degree isn’t the same thing as an engineering degree. Not all college degrees are equal in their value, no need to pretend they are. Doesn’t mean *everyone* doesn’t find a way to use their gender studies degree, but let’s be real here.We’ve gotta get more people going forward to stop diving headfirst into a pool of insurmountable debt before their adulthood even gets going. Taxpayers shouldn’t have to fully bail out those being taken advantage of by the greed and bloat of higher education

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's actually be real, no degree destroyed or derailed anyone vs not going to college. A degree doesn't guarantee anything and some majors are more lucrative and less risky than others, sure. But exceptions don't cancel out that a person with a liberal arts degree likely ends up better off than someone with no degree, and that the people who end up with loans are those who were not born into fortunate financial circumstances.

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Speaking of the whole college issue and as much as this sucks for some people, this development really shouldn’t come as a surprise. Everyone paying attention knew this could happen ultimately. It was always highly questionable as to whether presidents could magic wand away via executive orders the cancellation of debt

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’d love to see some concrete data comparing the ultimate financial outcomes of those saddled up with a ton of debt who obtained a liberal arts degree versus those who learn a technical skill like plumbing or welding in a trade school

But yea, obviously those who come from less fortunate financial situations are going to be burdened more by the college debt issue. Another reason why the greed and bloat of higher education is a shameful element of our society.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So, the plaintiffs are mad that they weren't eligible for more relief, not that relief is being given, but if they're being left out than the rest can pound sand. One of the plaintiffs said that it wasn't fair he was only getting 10K and not 20K, the other is mad they didn't consolidate their loans private loans to a direct loan and is not eligible for forgiveness. There's no principled stand here, its crashing the party for everyone because your cupcake was smaller than someone elses.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Just to be clear I’m not advocating for the merits of the lawsuit, just passing along relevant and current developments relating to the student debt issue being discussed here. If I had to guess though this is headed to the Supreme Court ultimately. However potential legal road blocks were always at play here, even those advising Biden on this issue foresaw possible legal road blocks with this. It was always shakey as to whether Biden had legal authority to executive order away student debt.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If a bunch of humanities degrees were instead plumber or other trad certs, the salaries of those would go down too.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

An over saturation of people with technical trade skills would be a far more net positive for society compared to the current over saturation of humanities degrees obtained by those having to saddle themselves up with insurmountable debt before their adulthood even starts. We have a long ass way to go before we reach a point where there’s “too many” with technical trade skills. Again, the greed and bloat of for-profit first and foremost Universities is nothing but shameful.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022