POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There's all kinds of jobs out there for people with humanities degrees. Hell, just in social services, we have a dire need of workers. Many different types of folks are needed out there, making the value of degrees certainly relative. Still, the small smattering of gender studies degrees isn't a drop in the bucket of our financial woes, especially as compared to shady bank practices.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Nobody is saying there aren’t *SOME* jobs out there for humanities degrees. I’m saying saddling up yourself with 50-100k(or more) in debt before adulthood even starts in order to use your humanities degree just to obtain a social services job that pays less than a public school teaching salary isn’t ideal for both society and the individual carrying the personal debt. Also as if you need a humanities degree to get a social service job.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The last few years I’ve watched as my kids and others graduate then move on into the workplace. None are accountants, drs, etc and have ended up with jobs which have nothing to do with their degree. My degree had nothing to do with my career, and that’s the case for many adults I know.

IP likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is the thing. Don't think that getting a history degree is going to get you a history job and you will be alright in life. My degree is in mathematics. I'm not doing anything with it. And that is ok, it got me in the door for jobs I wanted and that is what it is for. After that employers don't care what your degree was in just that you had one and experience.

5. Unimane

The value in degrees is more often in learning skills. particularly analyzing information and taking information to create coherent ideas and answer higher level questions. People mistakenly believe you have to go to school and learn 1 to 1 on how to do your future job, but that's not how it works. Your degree should allow one to do many types of jobs.

My kids [itch bay] about writing the big research paper we do. I tell them, if they can take pieces of information from different sources and organize them into a clear idea which answers a specific question, then you can do a lot of different jobs out there.

IP likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I just wish we could get back to the days where our grandparents would say things like “I worked part time and paid my way through college”. It’s just astounding when you compare the inflation of the cost of higher education compared to literally any other sector within American society. It’s become a racket. But that also doesn’t mean the American taxpayer should fully foot the bill going forward because of the greed and bloat of for-profit first and foremost higher education.

7. Unimane

Back on politics, I'm not 100% sure the GOP will win the House. Likely, for sure, but not the forgone conclusion I've been thinking since I first started chiming in on this election back in January or whenever. I said +8 for the Republicans two days ago. I'm modifying to the Dems getting between 216-218, which makes it a razor thin House, neither over 220.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hopefully we know by Christmas who controls what

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. Unimane

If that's what is necessary.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Utter and sheer incompetence. It’s a shame not all states are as good at managing elections as Tennessee and Florida are

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many useless degrees do you reckon there are and how many people have them?

To be clear and transparent, i don't believe any degree is useless and I don't think it matters if we all had a degree in gender studies or not in the scheme of things. Because it isn't like you can only major in one thing or do one thing. Plumbers can have a degree in Greek.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

And maybe we agree that college should be broadly accessible, and is simply too expensive.

13. Unimane

What makes those two states better? Time? The objective is a free and fair election where every eligible person has a reasonable opportunity and avenue to vote. That's it. Time isn't as material an interest as those considerations. Perhaps Arizona does a better job of verifying their votes and allowing all to participate in democracy than does Tennessee and Florida. An election can be [uck fay]ed up as easily by rushing results on on election night as anything else, necessarily.

But, states like California or Oregon aren't any more incompetent because they allow for things like mail in votes to arrive later if post marked by election day, for example. States run their own show and only are expected to be fair and secure in doing so.

Equine Ducklings likes this.
  14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Fair and secure elections and timely vote counts aren’t mutually exclusive. God forbid we expect better from our government at handling elections. Massachusetts and New York could also teach Arizona and Nevada a lesson or two. But yea, totally not a big deal if Arizona and Nevada are eternally going to drag out their election vote counts like this going forward.

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hopefully the new Nevada Rep Governor can pull a Jeb bush post 2000 Florida and help improve their election processes moving forward. Kari Lake too should she win Arizona. It just has to get better.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Definitely too expensive. I don’t think anyone objects to that

17. Unimane

They aren't mutually exclusive, but they aren't connected, either. Plus, those states you mention aren't remotely as close in their vote as the ones still counting. Pretty easy calls to make. Besides, what if by taking longer than those states it meant the election was more secure than those who rushed to finish by an Election Night deadline? You or I don't know either way, you are just impatient. There's nothing to suggest those states are any more or less competent, nor is democracy affected by later calls on races. It's been happening since the beginning of the republic.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What if by taking longer causes the election to be more non secure and vulnerable to potential bad actors with nefarious intent than those states who who have the infrastructure to be able to count all their votes by end of election night? How awful would that be? Open ended questions prove nothing.

There is nothing wrong with desiring both fair and secure elections and knowing who won each election on Election Day just like we always did before 2020 with the lone exception of the Florida 2000 debacle.

19. Unimane

You have no basis for believing "bad actors" or any other conspiracy, though, whereas I can quite clearly cite the heightened scrutiny and the layers of review in these extended vote countings. You are stating this is incompetence, yet there's no basis for you to believe this. There's no suggestion or reason to suggest these states are getting the election wrong.

Also, there have been plenty of elections not decided on election night and it happens every single election cycle. You seem to think you wanting to know on election night is meaningful. It's not. What's meaningful is getting the vote right.

Equine Ducklings likes this.
  20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea we definitely never “got the vote right” and knew the outcome of national elections on election nights before 2020. What a crazy norm to desire a return to.