POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So my state rep has been found to not live in the district he is serving (a requirement in the state of Alabama). Exactly one year before the election, to comply with state residency law, he rented a house to "establish a permanent personal residence". However he never moved in any furniture and by his own admission "can't recall ever spending the night or eating a single meal there". To this day he, his wife, and kids live in their original house in the neighboring district. I'm curious which polling station he voted in last year, I suspect it was in my district. Just another case of election security for thee and not for me. The previous State House GOP leader admitted to voting with an unapproved Voter ID the last 4 elections so nice to know everything is on the up and up. Presently the State House doesn't seem to be concerned and don't appear to have any intention to kick the guy out of office. They have a super majority so it's not like they need his vote.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

When I lived in Anniston, one of the neighboring towns, Weaver I think, had a mayor who was found to not actually live in town. I can't remember the specifics now. Seems like he had a small apartment or something that he similarly never spent time at.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You are gonna need to source this one

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

See, I don’t agree with this.

Why do “they” have to answer for Jeffrey Marsh anymore than we have to answer for Jeffrey Epstein?

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

See also: Sexton, Cameron

But I do think Sexton at least owns the house he doesn’t live in that’s in his district.

I bet this is way more common than we think it is, by like a lot.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sure.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You said it yourself “no amount of fact checking can change it from being a bad look”

Yeah, facts don’t matter, only feelings

IP likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sure.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Glad we agree

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sure.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Sure

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Things look bad when you look through a distorting lense.

emainvol likes this.
  15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Here's a summary of the entire argument against this being a bad look so far:

Fox News = Bad
    Trans Representative = Good

The simple fact that within six months of being sworn into office USA Today and Politifact have to fact check whether or not Minnesota's first trans representative's move to strike language that excludes minor attracted adults as a sexual orientation in existing law is enabling pedophiles is enough to qualify it as a "bad look". If you can't see that, you are looking through a distorting lens.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Sure

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Have to." So being slandered is a bad look? Seems like misplaced ownership of the cause.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Would, "decided to take the opportunity to," change a single thing?

No

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

At least in his case there is an argument to be made about living in Nashville during the legislative session. It may not be a great argument if he spends all his time there but I see the path of where it *could* be valid under the right circumstances. For my rep it's equivalent to someone living in Maryville to run for the Oak Ridge district. There's just no way to justify it.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You misunderstood. If an asshole starts a rumor about x, that does not make x culpable for that rumor being discussed and fact checked.