2nd/3rd Year Rule

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Oct 21, 2023.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

The right QB can change everything.

I don’t know if it’s Nico, but a top-5 draft pick type can single-handedly elevate a roster from good to great.

VolDad, Daddy Gee, Memtownvol and 4 others like this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

show me the obvious running lane, being that you saw it all as it happened.

3. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

My 2 cents - we had them. We were the more physical team early but we acted like we needed to create space by going outside - even after some success of going right at them
    I am probably missing something, but this game and the Florida game the offense seems to go into butch Jones mode.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's no intent to redshirt, if he's worth a shit he's leaving no later than his 4th year here

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Here you go:

upload_2023-10-21_22-8-50.png

He probably could have ran it right up the middle as well, but the more obvious path was outside, right past the guy who was falling down.

It's even more clear on the ESPN clip, but I couldn't get that one to maximize on my screen for some reason.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Guy has no instinct or natural feel for the game.

Physical tools are create-a-player quality, but he’s never had it between the ears. And after 6 years, it’s safe to say he never will.

Memtownvol, VanJake, DC Vol and 2 others like this.
  7. Ssmiff

that’s a tfl but of course would be better than a sack fumble. Only we “open” is barely to the los yet and the LT is already beat.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Correct.

It's like people only watched the first half. He was about as good as we can hope for him to be in the first half (and that's even with Squirrel bailing him out on the first TD). He was non-existent in the 2nd half, aside from the fumble/scoop and score. Again, look at his stats in the second half outside of the last 2 garbage time drives, and you might think he was our backup who came in when the starter got hurt.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Even his decision-making with the option runs and pitches was hard to watch, with a couple of bizarre inside keeps and a couple of unnecessarily risky pitches that yielded no reward.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In what universe is that a TFL? the guy who's supposed to set the edge is laying on his stomach, the guy spying the QB has a blocker right in front of him, and the only other player out there has a receiver standing directly between him and Milton. Milton doesn't even have to make a move to get yards there.

11. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

That speed option near the goaline was really bad. He ran into his blockers/Bama dline about a second after the snap. Then the really late pitch one cost him a few yards and was risky.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's not even to mention that just stepping up into the pocket changes the entire angle of the pass rush and helps his OL out immensely. He backed way up and then just stood there.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The first two had obvious lanes for him to cut it upfield, but he just refused to do it. And then later he cut one up at a time that made absolutely no sense. Can't help but wonder if the coaches told him to cut it upfield after the first two, and that was what he tried to do.

14. Ssmiff

in the current universe where Milton is 8 yards behind the Los and the mlb just has to move laterally left 2 yards to meet him 2 yards short of the los.

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

He should have thrown it away or something, but that still frame isn't the recipe for a successful play when Joe Milton III is your QB

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I mean Milton is not SEC great or anything, but I've watched a good bit of OVC over the years, and he's a bit better than that.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

In a universe far better than this one.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Milton is a fantastic athlete trying to play quarterback, but he's not a natural at the position. That's simply what he is, and the team around him really isn't good enough to make up for it.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Im still trying to figure out why we are so certain the middle linebacker, who has a blocker standing right in front of him, is 100% making that play.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is the crux of the issue right now. The other stuff is just window dressing. I am not saying it is more Milton’s fault than anyone else’s. He had a good enough first half. However, QB *is* where the solution lies. And that’s where we have a chance with Heupel that we didn’t with the last 3 bozos. Because even though Hendon Hookers don’t grow on trees there are probably 15-20 guys in college football at all times that could be coached up as well as Hooker. Milton’s just not one of those guys