2nd/3rd Year Rule

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It’s all about the qb in college. They can make a bad coach look good and make a good one look bad. Chizik had Cam. Urban had Tebow. Saban had multiple nfl qbs. Ga doesn’t win without Bennett. Dabo had Watson turn Trevor and has been shit since.

VanJake likes this.
  2. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

how are you saying this and that Milton isn’t to blame in the same breath? I get that there are other factors, but ultimately he’s more of a liability than asset.

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Tennessee and Florida were top five teams in 2001, but 2002 was a very different story. Maybe Alabama is similarly on their way down right now, but Georgia doesn’t seem to be.

4. Ssmiff

Never said Milton was a championship caliber qb and the ones I listed were.
    If you and others want to put all the blame on Milton, feel free. I think y’all are dead wrong and think you look emotional and silly.
    We gave up momentum and a 13 pt lead before he was able to throw the ball, so it was maybe 45 minutes to an hour between passes. The whole team was out of sync. O, D and ST.

5. Ssmiff

And I don’t think we win that game with Hooker if played the same way. We don’t have Hyatt, Ced or Bru. We had no rb run for over 30 yards. We had those guys with Squirrel at one point. Now we have Webb, Nimrod a 4.6 Keyton and have put 34 out there because Donte. Webb and Nimrod are sec 3rd string players at best.

6. Volsdude

This is a little bit of semantics but you keep revising history for your points so I’ll say it: we still had a 3 point lead and he went sack, 16yd run, incomplete, 1 yd pass (screen I think in his defense), 8 yard pass, 4th down turnover on downs. On that 4th down, if you still have hooker or a qb who can process in real time, think you run an RPO there? Think the defense has to think about you passing the ball more? I think it makes a big difference having a good qb. I think you do too. Nobody is saying it’s all Milton’s fault, but it would be a huge help if we had an actual threat/steadying presence at the most important position in sports.

7. Volsdude

We can’t use the middle of the field with Milton. They don’t trust him and for good reason. If you throw a rocket 2 feet over a receivers head as he does 50% of the time, it’s a safety’s wet dream. Hes a huge problem and a hamstring. Other things are wrong with this team and the losses aren’t all on him, but he gives us 0 ability to make up for them and at the end of the day is just another deficiency.

VanJake likes this.
  8. Volsdude

Disregard

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
  9. Ssmiff

you aren’t saying anything new. You responded to my post listing college champion qbs, like Cam, who made an avg coach look good, then somehow created and argument out of it.
    And I haven’t watched this one twice. Since there’s been 2 comments about it, I’m fine not sharing when I do. Just means tunnel visioned fans like you wont see a couple things you missed, and continue to just blame Milton for a team collapse and no credit for a 13 pt road lead at the half.

10. Volsdude

The photographic thing was too far. My bad dude, deleting it. I do appreciate your insight, and think you do see the big picture well. I’m starting to think we just expect different things out of what is acceptable qb play. Agree to disagree.

11. Ssmiff

I would prefer to have much better qb play and be able to do more. I think people are right on Milton but at the same time also not considering what I mentioned about the wrs and how down that room is. It sure doesn’t help to go from 3 nfl wrs to none. And it doesn’t help to get on a roll, playing well, then not throw a pass for 45 minutes.
    Would Milton look better with Ced, Hyatt, Bru, and D Wright? Believe we’d still see issues but those guys getting open and time to throw solves issues.

Volsdude likes this.
  12. VanJake

VanJake Joe Milton Fan Club President

I am betting we see Gaston this year before Nico again.

It looked like was going to enter the game in the 4th quarter with it still 23-20.

we were sitting right behind the QB trio. Gaston had his helmet on warming up.

then he disappeared when Bama scored again.

Milton an Nico we’re both sitting together with their helmets off.

Also it affects play calling if you have no confidence in your QB.

13. VanJake

VanJake Joe Milton Fan Club President

spot on.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I was meaning that in retrospect the SEC East was in decline. East had a good year in 2001 but Tennessee already had an 8-4 and 9-3 season following our title which neither of the 2 front-runners have done yet. Florida was still good but Spurrier leaving doomed them.

And Alabama has regressed under Saban. It's clear to me and even to some of my buddies that are old Bama fans that he's getting by on sheer talent differences and officiating help in spots. Yes, even to them the officiating was obvious.

Georgia and Bama both are so far ahead of everyone that Smart as a coach isn't really being tested. He came into a great situation and turned it into an elite situation with recruiting.

And as a final note: I went over composite rankings and this year is the largest gap between the top 3 teams and everyone else. Bama and Georgia have 31 5-stars between them. OSU brings another 10. The rest of CFB combined has 79.

15. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

And Florida

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He had already been getting his ass handed to him on the recruiting trail by Kirby but NIL has put them on equal ground as everyone else, and it's showing.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Like chanting "S-E-C" wasn't really a thing until Saban got to bammer. A lot of the "NIL is going to ruin college football" comes from the same place.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Milton isn't very good but Tennessee has a very good chance to be 9-3 with underwhelming qb play.

Heupel has taken a bunch of reclamation projects and exceeded my expectations. There's some stuff he's got to clean up and he needs to finish on high end recruits better but he's on track to consistently be 9-3/10-2.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

the Missouris and Kentuckies of the world better get us this year

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They won't

PilotFlyingJ and Memtownvol like this.