Current #1 recruiting class...

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by g8terh8ter_eric, May 30, 2013.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Still the same formula.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If that's how it works then that proves my point for now anyway. I doubt our top 20 will be better than the top 4 or 5 in the SEC come NSD. But our class will be better than recent years for sure.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I disagree and I'm not sure how it proves anything. In fact, I think its more likely top 5 nationally than outside the top 5 in the SEC.

4. BigOrangeBeech

We have 14 commitments. Last time I checked, bama had 7. If they had 14 as well as LSU, UGA, UF, A&M etc at this stage, where would we rank in that group?

5. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Tifwiw, but its my understanding that Butch has made it clear to parents, coaches and kids as to what's ahead for UT, beginning with a gut check tough year this year. He hasn't sold them on some bs that will fade away at the first sign of obstacles.

6. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Sure is a better feeling than last year, isn't it. Better than since early kiffin excitement.

7. BigOrangeBeech

This +1

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

by my math you are 17th by average star on rivals. to finish in the top 5 by signing day you'll have to land some more 4 and 5 stars, not just mantain the class

9. BigOrangeBeech

Right. This is what can change my opinion of finishing in the top tier of SEC. I'm not sure if we'll be able to land enough of them(4 and 5 *s) to hold off the top dawgs in the conference. Hope I am wrong.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

While having the highest avg star is great, in our particular situation that isn't likely simply because of the number of bodies we are needing to be bringing in.

11. chavisut

The more commits you have, the tougher it is to keep a higher star rating.

I wouldn't trade our class for almost any of the ones above us per star. Maybe West Virginia's two recruit class of 3.5 stars or Arkansas four guys.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. These averages are going to drop for everyone else.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah, but a 3.4 isn't a very high avg star rating at all istorically. so even when the other classes catch up they will likely jump you on the overall charts. that is unlelss you add more 4 and 5 star guys.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or some of our guys go up.

But I am not really worried about it. We need good players, not stars.

15. chavisut

Which we will. Do you honestly believe we won't? You might be surprised at how many we lead for.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i honestly have no idea

17. chavisut

Ah. Okay.

Well things are looking very nice on our end. Top 5 might be far fetched, but this will be our best class on paper since '07 imo. Of course that class ended up a bust.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Chavis, what is the number of 4 and 5 stars we are in on that haven't committed? Like, a ballpark figure.

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

About 7-10 depending on recruiting sites and who you ask. Those are ones that we are in very good shape for.. Either lead or tied at the top.

Top 5 it's 2 many 2 count.

20. chavisut

Gaulden, Bates, Mouhon, Poona, Booth, D.J. Smith, Wesley Green, Hendrix are all guys we are supposed to lead for. We are top 2 or 3 with guys like Cornwell, Derrick Barnett, Malone, McDowell, and a few JUCO guys.
    Of course we won't land all of them and other names will come up.

Then there are some high 3 stars we lead for like Truitt and the Berrys.