Current #1 recruiting class...

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by g8terh8ter_eric, May 30, 2013.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think you're taking a reasonable point too far. The data does show that any impact losses have on recruiting is less than the impact that top-notch recruiters have on recruiting. It does not show that the impact is minimal.

2. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Jg or chavis, what's up with the new juco lb signee? Seems an odd choice with our momentum right now, and he won't be here until January. Wouldn't mind your input.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Him being an EE is a plus. He apparently picked up an Oklahoma offer earlier today before committing.

4. volfanhill

volfanhill Member

I think we can all agree thus far Butch has been a pleasant surprise. Things can change but for now he is out performing expectations.

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Thought that juco commit was weird too.

6. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

We need linebackers badly. I wasn't surprised to see us jump on a juco linebacker early because we need some guys ready to play when they get here. It's still pretty early with juco recruiting, isn't it?

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I'm not shocked they are looking to take one. Just surprised so early and especially from a guy that has been totally off the radar.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That all depends. On the macro level I wouldn't argue. But certain kids will, in fact, not want to play for a team coming off a shitty season. Generally, coaches are prepared for a decommitment and have a backup plan to replace him. But if the dude is irreplacable, like maybe Jalen Hurd, that will suck.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

28 or 29 spots and he plays at a huge position of need. Butch can't sign too many linebackers plus the guy was rising up the ranks as a legit recruit

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The OU offer was all I needed to feel fairly safe that he can be a solid guy.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I look at offer lists (assuming they are accurate) and base my opinion more on that than stars.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Where are you seeing an OU offer though? Was only seeing Buffalo and Bowling Green caliber teams.

13. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Fortenberry said last night that he had just received an oklahoma offer in the last couple of days.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I do the same thing, Beech, for what little I can follow recruiting.

I don't care if Rivals / Scout / Whomever says someone is "X" stars. If they say they're a 4-5* and we land them, without major opposition from the big players, I think that they know/ see something that we missed (on the field or off), and don't get too excited. Conversely, if they're rated 3* or less, but we land them by beating out heavy-hitters, I'm elated.

And that's not a knock on the recruiting sites, per se, I just think that its more likely that they miss an evaluation than, say, Saban, Meyer, Brown, Kiffin, etc., or certainly when several of those coaches are after them.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I also look at offers more than anything, but have realized that the rating services are usually pretty close. They're always diamond in the rough players as well as "busts" we just gotta hope we can find more of the jewels than those that end up not worth a dime

16. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

LB Henderson and RB Hurd were mvp's of the Nike camp in ohio this weekend. Word is Hurd was unstoppable in one on ones

17. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Might get a commit from Gaulden pretty soon.

18. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Looks like the OU offer got him 4 stars on Rivals.

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Yeah just saw that - not bad.

20. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Seems reasonable to me ... I'll buy it. I mean ... Ole Miss ... enough said.