Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Why is the illegal Mexican better than any natural born US citizen trying to feed their family??

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

They are not, grandstanding is not a viable solution.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't see any purpose to start bailing water without first fixing the leak. I also don't think that you can decide who to depot until you know who everyone is (ala ID system).

4. g8terh8ter_eric

I agree, but there are more people on the government payrolls than ever before, and millions of those people are illegal. Welfare is already a touchy subject for me, but illegals getting welfare is over the line to me.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

First, I don't want to run Eric off. I am not saying that his citizenship counts for nothing. He is here and is blessed. But I don't think that gives him the right to deny the blessing to others.

Second, I think it is a fallacy to assume that none of the immigrants will create jobs. In fact, they seem to have an entrepreneurial spirit of risk taking and willingness to change. So I don't buy the finite/set # of jobs with more competition argument.

I do appreciate your point about the Thais and Kenyans. I don't have a great response to that. I would offer that I think it's our duty to help the poor that are easiest to help. I wouldn't expect Droski to donate to a charity in Knoxville. I wouldn't expect you to help needy Californians. I think the same principle applies. Just because the Kenyans can' t make it over here doesn't mean that we close the doors on everyone else in the name of equity.

Finally, those who came legally were fortunate. I don't see that granting illegals a pathway to citizenship does them any disservice. Again, I am not buying into the fixed number of jobs line of thinking.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think they're equal not better.

7. OrangeEmpire

No argument from me.

8. g8terh8ter_eric

You're arguing equality, and I'm arguing sustainability.

9. OrangeEmpire

Do you honestly believe mass deportation is the answer?

Who is going to handle it?

How do you handle the pr at home and around the world when you are pulling families apart on live tv?

Where are the displaced children that are citizens going to go?

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Also, Tenny, my wife just got me to scan you're avatar with her iphone. That's a nice CS Lewis quote you selected.

11. g8terh8ter_eric

Mass deportation is not an answer, and would be virtually impossible at this point. Our only option is to vigilantly secure and monitor the borders. Let's use the National Guard for that, instead of sending them overseas.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

To the point of burning tax dollars on social safety net as we're mired in unending deficits.

13. OrangeEmpire

What about the shore line?

Human trafficing is far too profitable.

14. g8terh8ter_eric

Coast Guard and Navy can handle that. If we can't secure ourselves, there is no way in hell we can secure some other country.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Article is about how conservative economists in the same mold as Milton Friedman actually think loosening immigration restrictions will spur economic growth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/23/immigration-reform-economy_n_3326470.html

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

http://business.time.com/2013/01/30/the-economics-of-immigration-who-wins-who-loses-and-why/

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's not your fault. It's a screwed up situation. They happen.

So you would deport a 17 year old kid that only speaks English that came here at age, say, 2?

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Scalia is a smart drama queen.

Should we let non-citizens working toward citizenship vote?

19. g8terh8ter_eric

20. g8terh8ter_eric

If they want to stay here, they need to keep the money in the US, and stop sending it back to raise their families in another country, while being on welfare and food stamps here in the US and having more babies we have to pay for.