Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Nor me.

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

They don't pay taxes on said income, and it's not growing our economy. So, they don't fix their own countries, and yet get assistance off of my dime to feed their families here. That's just insane to think about, or say is acceptable.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

8th Maxim needs to be a think tank

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It is.

And in the absolute truest sense of the word, beyond my ability to currently explain or elaborate upon.

6. OrangeEmpire

I mean to consult and make $$$$

:)

7. OrangeEmpire

Elucidation Solutions ™

8. Tenacious D

But that blessing is being denied to others, to some degree - both here and those others who wish to come here or have already legally arrived, by requiring that they share entitlements with others who have no legal standing to receive them, not to mention jobs, education, etc.

I don't agree with this position, either, and have patently rejected any argument which suggests that only those who "contribute" should be allowed to come, or remain, here....or at least I've tried to be that clear.

Perhaps somkene else posed that argument, but it wasn't me, because I'm not even to the point of thinking about the minutiae of what jobs they will/not create, believing that the question of their being here, or being allowed to remain here, precedes all others.

Once that's decided, I'll be happy to delve into those important, but secondary, questions.

I agree that we should help the poorest amongst us, but the quandary is determining who that may be, and what the best method of "helping" them may be.

When was the last news story you read where the opinion of a citizen who legally immigrated to this country was quoted, or even sought? Better yet, if you happen to know someone who is, ask them to name any family members who remain in their originating country and who still are denied entrance into the U.S., and ask them what they think about entire Mexican families illegally immigrating here, and then being allowed to stay.

Believe whatever they tell you, in response.

9. Tenacious D

Thank you. It may be my most favorite quote, from any source.

You are one of the few who figured it out, as it has otherwise gone largely unnoticed.

10. Tenacious D

Why isn't it a reasonable and easily achievable answer, exactly?

If "public outcry" is the fear, last I checked, the rule of law was no respector of public sentiment.

11. Tenacious D

If it is not my fault, then why am I responsible for suffering its solution? Or better yet, financing it?

I'm not sure what I believe, other than that we are a nation of laws, above all else. We cannot have it both ways, to follow or forego it on our own whims and wishes.

So, whatever that might entail, I support it.

If you ("you" meaning those sharing your opinion, Jay, not "you" as a person) don't want that 17-year old deported, then change the laws. Until then, I see no legal means to allow her to stay, and in fact believe just the opposite, that only a scofflaw could support such a position.

12. Tenacious D

You can dislike Scalia's all day long, but like the rest of the liberal justices, you'll play hell poking too many or large holes in most of his decisions - far more than the others, IMO, conservatives included.

To reduce him to a "drama queen" only serves as proof of how little you might actually know about him / his written opinions, IMHO.

By the way, seriously given just as an odd footnote: who can tell me which of his fellow justices is closest to Scalia, personally, and who some even go so far as to call them his "best friend" on the court of or otherwise?

13. g8terh8ter_eric

That maybe true, but media sensationalism will run a muck with it.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Just like Obamacare was going to save us billions. Giving citizenship to doctors and engineers from India makes this country money. Giving citizenship to unskilled minimum wage workers milks this country of money. Just like the American unskilled minimum wage workers in this country.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Eric is right. They pay sales tax and the minimum social security tax. That doesn't cover 1/10th of free schooling and healthcare, let alone welfare and food stamps.

16. g8terh8ter_eric

Not to mention the amount of unpaid medical services they run up.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And they took er jerbs

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could you tell me how an illegal alien gets food stamps?

Also, how does a rent-paying, eating illegal resident avoid contributing to property taxes and sales taxes? Just asking.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Speaking as someone who has dealt with immigration for years in getting visas, green cards, etc., it is an extremely time consuming, daunting, confusing and expensive process. For a poor prospective immigrant from Mexico or elsewhere, the prospects of getting into the country are exceptionally difficult and, for all rights and purposes, not realistic. With these considerations, I think most immigrants coming here illegally do so because they both need the income and see no hope in the process of obtaining a visa. I also think that most would do so legally if they could.

As such, I find it difficult to call them criminals. It's too simple a connotation for someone like me who has the good fortune to simply be born here and receive the benefits through the luck of the draw. Of course, I don't approve of the abuses of the system and the grafting of entitlement money, but I think that might be remedied were we to put into place a method to legitimize the status of these necessary wage workers. In a rare occurrence then, I'm inclined to agree with the previous president, George the son, for a need to simplify the process and create easier access for guest workers. These people are coming, we need them more than we realize, so why keep banging our heads on the wall?

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm under no illusion that there's any easy/perfect solution, but there has to be a solution of some sort. Using the law of the land, while it may be correct, just seems like an easier out to me. I wouldn't say that if the laws had been faithfully enforced by virtually every administration for the last 40-50 years, yet we still had the issue. As it stands, essentially a blind eye has been turned to the issue. There's consequences for that. I freely admit that I'm using the smell test here just like I would use for milk that is a day past it's freshness date. If it stinks, I'm not gonna drink it. To me, across the board deportation is rancid; therefore, I'm not gonna "drink" it.

As to changing the law, is that not what is being worked on/toward as we debate?