The POTSB fiasco

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by CardinalVol, Oct 9, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is rather humorous.

I love when band kids get riled up.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I only notice the band during pregame and when everyone in the stadium sings Rocky Top.

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Priceless.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What are we talking about?

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the band is a part of what makes the experience. That said, if all you're gonna do is play "Livin' on a Prayer" eleventy billion times, I could do with less of that. Also the saving money thing, well, it's legit in this day and age. Must say I missed at least a pep band out in Eugene, though.

But yeah, band kids, go blow yourselves.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

7. CardinalVol

Here - http://www.change.org/petitions/university-of-tennessee-athletic-department-do-you-love-rocky-top

And Chris Fuller's response -

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Story. Thanks.

9. CardinalVol

I hate piped in music, and actually commented on it Saturday, but this is once again band kids being band kids.

10. hallowed_hill

Drum Major started a petition to save the Pride or something. Also, here is text of an email evidently sent out from someone in the Pride:

Fans,A battle is upon us and we need your help. The athletics department is trying to cut the band from the stands. They have recently informed the Pride, which has been a Tennessee tradition for 144 years, that we will be limited in when and what we can play in the stands. Now instead of hearing classics like the Vol spellout, Living on a Prayer, and Neck you instead listen to "canned" music from the loudspeakers and be subjected to athletic marketing and commercials where you once had live music and cheers. Now the Pride will really only play when our team scores a touchdown, and that will only be Rocky Top instead of the school's actual fight song Down the Field. As much as we all love it, is it not a shame that the schools official fight song will not be played and that after Rocky Top has ended you again listen to canned music and watch commercials on the jumbotron? The athletics department has also limited band travel. That is why there will be no band at Missouri, why there was no band at Oregon, and why there will only be a pep band instead of the whole Pride at Kentucky. They are wanting to cut band travel so that they can save money. What they do not understand is that by saving this money they are cutting a valuable part of the college gameday experience. They are also hurting those students of The Pride. Though many may not think we are student athletes, we are on the field practicing at least 5 hours before actual kickoff, we are! Do these hardworking students not deserve the opportunity to experience this Tennessee Tradition to the fullest? We are in dire need of your help! Please help us keep this gameday tradition alive and help keep the Pride alive so that future generations can experience this wonderful and prestigious tradition.This band member also told me that next year there is a chance that they will not be travelling to any away games in order to cut back on expenses.You can email Dave Hart at athleticdirector@utk.edu and let him know how you feel.

11. hallowed_hill

For the love of God, can we please get a little more 'How Much Is That Doggie in the Window'?!?!

12. CardinalVol

Didn't realize she was the one behind this.

Even funnier.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

welcome to 2013

14. JohnnyQuickkick

the only thing keeping that from being the worst thing i've ever seen is the wizard of oz show they did

15. JohnnyQuickkick

and this is what happens when you let women in positions they don't belong in

16. CardinalVol

Yup.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there have been actual posts from band dorks on the cal board where people say they were in the band as though that means they knew something about football. i shit you not. the level of arrogance from the band is always amusing to me.

18. CardinalVol

19. hallowed_hill

#obviouslydoesntgetit

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex