File This Under "**** No".

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's funny how whenever you have a super athletic black guy in soccer, they totally dominate. Like Onyewu did. And Marvell Wynne.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This is the stupidest leftist knee jerk response you could have made.

I get that you're a pasty distance runner with limited athletic ability. No need to continue proving it.

White people play basketball too. Bob Cousy was a bonafide star.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Outside of the Dominican Republic not many. Lots of trash in first world countries too.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kfc is the most important restaurant chain in the world without question.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

First of all, go **** yourself for making this a personal shot. I could've started at WR for my high school team, easily, and played as much tackle football as any other American kid, but liked running and was very successful at it, so I went with it. Still, that's neither here nor there for the actual argument.

You are still presenting your personal opinion on the sport as fact, which I don't care, as it wasn't the argument. I gave you some actual details and facts which supports the idea that it is relevant and important as a world wide event, including here in the US, which actually does watch and attend the World Cup. Your arguments are that you don't like it and a conjuring of false facts like they only play it in poverty stricken Africa or they aren't athletes because they don't tackle each other.

6. Unimane

Let me say this slowly. YOU. DON'T. ****ING. KNOW. ME. I don't make personal jibes at you, you know why? Because I. DON'T ****ING. KNOW. YOU. So, stick to the argument.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You're arguing relevance of a sport, which is about where you should remain. None are relevant. Some are entertaining because they're full of unbelievable athletes doing incredible things. The rest, like soccer, blow ass.

Everyone on earth has a coulda woulda shoulda story. The guys who did don't have to talk about crap like that.

8. Unimane

OK, so define the parameters of "most important event".

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I can tell you I didn't run cross country and did play football, so I don't have to pretend soccer is viewable to overcome my shoulda coulda woulda stories.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It ain't sport related, period.

11. Tar Volon

And your definition of unbelievable athletes includes what? Just football and basketball players? Are there any other sports with unbelievable athletes in them?

12. Unimane

The second part is stupid. You're extrapolating that I'm pining for the days of not playing football, when I'm fine with the choices I made.

The first part is you going back to your personal opinion. The idea of relevance is irrelevant, too, as the argument was magnitude. It would be the biggest event ever in the state. I hate NASCAR, but I can admit that the race at Bristol is of a bigger magnitude in the state than the high school basketball championships that I watch every year.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Sure. Soccer has a few, but not enough. There are literally about 2 compelling plays per forever game. Sometimes less, never more.

14. Unimane

Who's pretending? And, you specifically said I "couldn't" play football, so I addressed it. I guess, if we're going to start creating logical fallacies from this, that you were too lazy to run 5 miles and too soft to play LB. I mean, I don't know if this is true, but it certainly is a way to try and trap you with some bullshit tag.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Part of it is the build-up and anticipation of plays, though. It is no doubt an acquired taste. We don't watch it at a high level here like our major sports so people don't grow into it.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Because it's fun to get a rise out of soccer fans??? The offense many soccer fans take is like watching a moth be unable to resist flying into the bug zapper. They can't resist.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That tag is fine. I played enough sport to invalidate the laziness stuff and was a LB until I was full time starter on O, but this isn't about me. It's about how one grows to find soccer worth viewing in America, which is full of drastically better stuff.

Oh, and I find the coulda stuff a very familiar refrain. You should like hearing that you aren't the only soccer fan tossing that out there. Hell, our kicker was a soccer fan and a very good soccer player. He was pissed that e could do nothing but kick for our football team, but he just flat sucked at anything resembling a football player.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  18. Unimane

For the record, Jay, I'm perfectly cool with you not liking soccer. It's the other stuff that makes me argumentative. Plus, honestly, I also like to argue. Five minutes and I'll forget all about this and anyone I had cross words with. Even Papa, though, I'm sure we'll cross paths again. And again.

19. Tar Volon

IP is right. It's an acquired taste. And it's significantly better in person, because it can be a lot harder to appreciate the buildup when the camera is focused on the ball. Football and basketball do a lot better on TV. Hockey is also significantly better in person.

But all of those sports are extremely entertaining, and we're the better for having all of them.

20. Unimane

But, you didn't run distance? So, by your logic, that's a woulda coulda shoulda and you are just too ****ing lazy to hack it.