CFB Week 10: The Best Teams In The Land

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 31, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

OE, cheering for "SEC Dominance" is classic Stockholm Syndrome. Hang in there, buddy. Coach Jones is trying to get you out.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one team dominating doesn't make the rest of the league look better.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'm not smart enough to understand

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee was starting to get the ball rolling while Alabama was winning it all in 92.

5. OrangeEmpire

Exactly, the product is rock solid, the facilitators have been lacking.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This old myth again. Do you have a 2 year memory? Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Florida have all won championships in the current streak. Auburn had an undefeated season and didn't get the nod (all the "SEC is overrated" folks conveniently forget this). And Tennessee won the first BCS title giving the SEC 9 BCS titles out of 15.

Meanwhile, the Pac 12 has 1 by USC, and it was vacated. Speaking of conferences being dominated by one team... Isn't that the Pac 12's modus operandi lately? It was USC in the early to mid 2000's, now it is Oregon. Boy, that sure is balanced compared to the silly old SEC that has 5 different BCS champions in the league.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

name a team today other than alabama that has any prayer of a NC in the next say 3 seasons? lsu? maybe? things change.

9. OrangeEmpire

10. OrangeEmpire

A&M?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

don't see it without manziel.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why the focus on Alabama? In the 90's, it was a one-two team league. Florida followed by UT followed by everyone else way down there. Now, the league, top to bottom, is better. Far better.

Yes, Alabama is winning right now. But they have The Alpha Dog among all the other alpha dogs. Hell, Vanderbilt is better than has been since the 1910's. And this all stems from many teams winning the National Championship. Not just one. The whole league has been in a Keeping Up With the Jones' mode and it has made the whole league better. Is it sustainable? I say no, because if Saban extorts some new contract for 20 billion dollars out of this whole Texas affair, the league will crumble. That kind of money is just not sustainable.

Every team in the league has been in the top 20 in the last 10 years. The SEC had 8 teams in the top 25 at one point this year. It isn't just one team dominating.

Will this hold Tennessee down? I say no. We can feed off of the league's perceived (and applied) dominance and bring in a ton of better players. Just look at what CBJ is doing right now on the recruiting trail.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's do one better. If no other team in the SEC team has a "prayer" at the national title in the next 3 years, I will concede the point.

What constitutes a prayer? Auburn is one upset away from being a serious contender.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Tennessee football has been awful for a while, but the misery has been amplified watching our rivals trade national championships.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Without Manziel? Please.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is the message board response I have always dreamed of. My e-life is now complete. I... I don't even know what to do now. I guess get ready for work.

17. OrangeEmpire

He gave a three year window.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's Draft eligible after this season. He gone

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the NCAA rules were enforced, he already would be.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This doesn't really help your argument. 3 years before Alabama won in 2009, they were coached by Shula. 3 years before Florida won in 2006, they were in the middle of the Ron Zook era. Auburn was 5-7 two years before winning. Three years before LSU won in 2003, they just had their third winning season in over a decade.