Michael Crichton - Micro

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Nov 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

MichaelCrichton.com | Micro | Overview

His latest, and I assume last. Richard Preston, another author I don't know, completed the novel. Anyone planning on reading it? I'll probably put it on the ol' Christmas list.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I liked Crichton so I'll probably get around to reading it eventually, but I can wait for the paperback.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Preston wrote the Hot Zone, I think.

Crichton got silly towards the end of his career. I probably won't read it.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I didn't like Next that much but thought the rest was pretty good.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't like Next, Timeline, or obviously State of Fear.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I liked State of Fear, but I took it for what it was. Fiction.

The outrageousness of the story was entertaining, even if the pseudoscience wasn't.

Haven't read Next or Timeline.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Timeline was very entertaining, although the movie is terrible. State of Fear was taken by almost everyone as anti-global warming when it was pretty clearly more of an anti-hysteria message.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Crichton was a major skeptic. It was the only novel he wrote with scientific references as footnotes at the bottom of pages.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't see why that makes him "silly". His stance came off as more of questioning the cause of global warming and the cautioning against the zeal of the anthropogenic crowd. He also made a point to mock celebrities that get involved with the cause, which may seem a tad ironic.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh. I'm also not a fan of lawyers being the main character in every other modern novel. Apologies to lawyers.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think attorney protagonists are common in Crichton novels. Not sure there's even two.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was speaking of State of Fear specifically, not Crichton in general.