America’s Favorite Light Bulb Ban

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Jan 7, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Sometimes it takes the government's bully tactics to get people to do the right thing. Seat belts, helmet laws, car seats, etc. People, like objects, have inertia, and it takes some outside force to change it.

Do you think the air quality standards would have changed as fast on cars had the EPA not made mandates? Sure, it may have happened eventually, but why wait around till you are in China type disaster mode? I know and understand the whole "Don't Tread On Me" motto, but this isn't 1789 any longer, and sometimes we have to adapt to modernity.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Alan,

What a load of crap to justify cronyism. Rockefeller and Sam Walton made the same arguments.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Technology was the driving force behind the the air quality improving, and not the EPA. Air quality was already improving dramatically in the mid-1960's before the passage of the Clean Air Act.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Seat belts and helmet laws are ridiculously dumb imo

5. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

The funny part, the light bulb people are sticking to the electric companies. They make the money up front, and the electric companies don't get paid as much. When electric companies make electricity more expensive down the road, everyone will be effed.

6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Agree. It shouldn't be a role of the government to save you from yourself.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Winner winner, chicken dinner

Honorable mention

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Can a brother get an amen?

9. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Everybody knows why helmet laws exist. People who ride motorcycles are ne'er-do-wells who do not have medical insurance. So when they crack their skulls on the pavement, the rest of us have to pick up the tab for their persistently vegetative states. So put on your helmets and get off my lawn!

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

[video=youtube_share;P6fejWutXCk]http://youtu.be/P6fejWutXCk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Preach brother.

12. NorrisAlan

What about seat belt laws make them dumb?

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gets my shirt all wrinkly. I'm trying to look respectable here.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's been mentioned, but there is a price for the rest of us to pay when others receive serious injuries or worse because they wouldn't wear a seat belt.

I get the whole not wanting to be told what to do. I really do. I just really don't see a big deal about seat belts & helmet laws.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah there are battles worth fighting and then others that aren't.

16. JayVols

Besides, even though they may be encouraged by the NTSB, aren't those laws made at the state level? Ya know, where most conservatives say laws should be determined. The NTSB might withhold funds if they aren't passed, but who needs the federal gov't playing nanny anyway, right?

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Hold up. You don't get to [itch bay] about the collective paying for healthcare, do you?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If someone wants to be ejected from their vehicle on impact, so be it.

Let Darwin do his thing

19. JayVols

I'm not complaining. Just throwing something out there. I get what you are saying.

20. NorrisAlan

And I get that, and I would agree if we lived in a vacuum. But we do not. The world has become increasingly interdependent and it is getting more and more so every day. While that person may die from his injuries, and too bad so sad, what about the mother and two kids in a car behind them that happened to see this person get ejected and splattered all over the road? Now that family pays for it as well via a very traumatic sight, through no fault of their own. The person survives, has little or no insurance and no money, now everyone else has to foot their medical bills. Or the person is in their car with their son in a car seat next to them. They roll the car and their flopping around in the vehicle crushes the baby.

I understand the whole "don't tell me what to do", but we cannot afford to be so selfish any longer. The world is too tightly knit for that. My 2 cents on the subject.