Happy Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

racist thread IMO

3. Tenacious D

Well played.

If only I knew more black people.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That's a wonderful quote, Tenny, and there are so many more. One of my favorites:

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

5. Tenacious D

"The Measure of a Man" and "Letters from a Birmingham Jail".

Or so I've been told, from my black friends. Being white, I've never felt compelled to read either of them.

6. Tenacious D

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."

7. Tenacious D

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I love the Boondocks. It's a great show.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've seen it a couple times. Never paid enough attention to get into it.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I need a t-shirt with that on it.

And a big poster sign for my office.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I read Letter from Birmingham Jail last night for the first time in it's entirety. If you have not done so, I strongly recommend it.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

+1

One of the things I stress to my students in my history and AA Studies classes is the type of message King was sending out. There's this idea out there that King was "asking" to be a part of white society and that his message is less modern or desirable than the more radical messages of Malcolm X (whom I do love) and the Black Panthers, among others. However, as I pointedly note, King wasn't asking, he was demanding and doing so through direct confrontation, which was pretty controversial and not always received well throughout America, including the North. Plus, he wasn't wanting to necessarily be a part of white society, he just wanted access. I'm sure he felt it was better to mix together as a racial melting pot, but the choice to do so was the critical part.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm not sure how he could have improved that letter (in any capacity) to get his point across and establish his reasoning. The Christian perspective and references of the letter resonate with me the most. Very eloquent indeed.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

It was well-written, sure, but most letters from jail are encoded with orders to murder people on the outside. I'm pretty sure that's all this was.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have this one friend....

I knew it, but it just struck me how young young MLK was.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

He probably plagiarized these from a white guy.

Please note the sarcasm.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I love Malcolm X.

19. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I spent the morning reading a book on MLK while the kids were reading. I feel like I either didn't learn as much about the civil rights movement as I should or I didn't pay attention.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

MLK is like the Aztecs in that they are taught diff now than they were 15-20 years ago.