Michael Sam Is Gay.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LawVol13, Feb 9, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His roommate's interview made me laugh on Sportscenter.

When asked how he reacted to Sam coming out, he said "Glad that's outta the way". You could tell they expected a profound answer and he just kind of shrugged it off.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What absolutely annoys me the most about all of this is that the media is trying to make this into a gigantic story. Whether people agree with the lifestyle or not, people with 25 functioning brain cells (or have a deeper agenda) really just shrug their shoulders because they knew it was coming sooner or later.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

where he is drafted will be telling. what's the average draft position of a guy coming out(no pun intended) of the sec that just won def. player of the year?

that being said, everyone should be afforded the luxury of being accepted for who they are. with the only exception being carnies and gypsy's.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If his teammates don't care, why does anyone think it's going to be a big deal? That's where I stand on it.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The thing is, he racked up a lot of stats against shitty teams. He's good, but he's never been anything more than a mid round guy and they drop and rise all the way until draft day.

Ealy, his teammate on the DL there at Mizzou, has always been considered a better NFL player

6. CardinalVol

Pretty much.

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

it will be the biggest side bar story regarding the draft. if he isn't drafted high enough it will be "becasue he is an openly gay man."*

*not my opinion

8. CardinalVol

Oh, I have no doubt. And I think it's ridiculous.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's the media. What do you expect?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup and when he gets drafted in the 4th round we'll see a bunch of articles arguing it's because of homophobia. Wish this dude was a lock nfl first rounder

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

God forbid he gets cut.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think if he gets in the door, cut or no cut all will be fine. It is getting drafted. Too many of the people that run the teams are old fogies that are out of touch with reality. Just look at the whole Strong thing at Texas (different game, I know, but same type of people running it).

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I've seen round 2-4. He played DE but most seem to view him as a 3-4 LB.

14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

mel kiper was already predicting as a 4th rounder.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Exactly. Now, he goes undrafted, then we know why. But if he gets drafted, I think that is all that he could have expected even before yesterday.

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I think it's actually good that a few evaluations had him in the 3-5 range before he came out. I've not seen anything predicting higher than 3rd, so it's not like he's can't miss NFL prospect. If he goes undrafted, however, the homophobia train will likely roll.

Edit: Norris beat me to it.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He wasn't a highly regarded recruit at all, which often means he doesn't have the best measurables. That kind of thing will hurt him at the combines and keep him out of the top rounds. But with his college production someone will still take him.

18. CardinalVol

Of the 32 teams. I expect 6-8 to have him completely off the board now just because. Of the others, if he can play and they run a 3-4, someone will draft him. And there is probably 1 or 2 that would draft him mainly as a marketing ploy to get into the gay sports fan niche.

19. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

he will get drafted, i don't have much doubt. i see 1 of 3 things happening, 1. he goes late, preceivably because he's gay, 2. someone takes him earlier than they should, as a (a) statement (b) or generally see's something in his abilities that others haven't and wants to roll the dice 3. he his drafted where he was already expected.

2a is the least likely in my opinion as this is a business and not a stage for political statements.
    1. is possible, but i think the desire to acquire a good athlete is more of a windfall for teams than just being dismissive of a lifestyle.
    2b happens every year.

i think option 3 is what happens. and i think even if it does there will be people that will be displeased on both sides of the issue.

personally, i just feel bad that the kid has to be in the middle of it because one side of the argument hates him despite the fact that they don't even know him and the other side will want to make him either a benchmark or matyr for their cause. i'm sure he just wants to play football and live his life and he should be given that opportunity above all else.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  20. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i'm hoping for the best, and planning for the worst.