Mike Rowe Comments on Glenn Beck, Bill Maher, Dialogue

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jul 15, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's why I pretty much don't listen to any political talk show or read any political writers.

2. CardinalVol

I've often debated whether a talk show host helps people determine their opinions, or just reinforces they beliefs they already had or wanted to have. I lean towards the latter.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's absolutely the latter. If I could cure one societal "ill" in this country, it'd be to abolish the principal of identifying a favorable conclusion, and then trying to reverse-engineer an argument or facts to support it.

And BOTH parties are absolute experts at it, as are many of their most feverish supporters.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think their job is to make ppl more comfortable with their own biases.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think they have done harm by fanning flames for the sake of a buck. That includes folks like Maddow & Maher. Nothing wrong with making money. At all. But I can't be too impressed with a $25k donation to the guy that's trying to undo some of the same damage caused by the person making the donation in the course of making said $25k.

6. JayVols

They reinforce already held positions 99.9999% of the time. Period.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Same with blogs and forums that only lean one way. My father is bad about only reading what he wants to read and never an opposing view. Just a echo chamber.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

an awful lot of liberals watch foxnews. hell i watch the daily show occasionally even though I can't stand the bias.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

ridiculous. their job is viewers and they morph into attracting the largest viewership.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I could careless about his drug habit, and if he's doing nothing illegal to make his money, why should I care? I'm sure Bill Maher has done drugs and loves to make money too.

11. CardinalVol

As far as talk shows go, I'd say the one thing that conservatives have figured out that liberals haven't is to at least entertain and lighten up every now and then. Every time I listen to liberal radio, it's just the host being angry about whatever the entire time.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

99% of all news is entertainment now. It's the nature of the beast.

13. JayVols

I watch all types, but I don't DVR The Union Channel or any other. Let me amend, I watch all types of news. I don't watch any political op/ed shows that masquerade as news shows.

14. JayVols

Nothing happens in a vaccuum.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. it's a business first. this is why i always laugh when liberals pull the "brainwashed by foxnews" card.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What does this have to do with the issue at hand?

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

And how do they morph into attracting the largest viewership? They tell the target audience that their bias against the opposition in all issues is just. People seem to like being told they're right on matters they deem important.

18. JayVols

The Libertarian view is "as long as I'm not hurting anyone else", right?

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hurting someone's feelings doesn't apply to that, and another person making money doesn't make me poor.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i watch almost nothing. i might watch fox news one or twice a month. never watch any national news. i read multiple newspapers a day though.